This rich and creamy vegan chocolate mousse recipe is made with avocado and topped with whipped coconut cream.
While this rich and creamy chocolate mousse happens to be vegan, I actually didn’t make it because of any dietary restrictions or preferences.
The truth? I had recently played the avocado lotto and had several ripe beauties ready and waiting to be used so I decided to use it as an excuse to make a healthy chocolate mousse recipe.
Traditionally made with heavy cream, egg yolks and sugar, my version is made with omega-3 rich avocados, creamy coconut milk and dark chocolate.
In typical Liz fashion, I couldn’t resist adding in a pinch of warm cinnamon to complement the cocoa powder. Espresso powder would work well also.
Your spoon is waiting.
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips (60-70%) (or vegan chocolate chips)
- 3 ripe avocados (pitted)
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- To melt the chocolate chips, create a double boiler by placing a bowl on top of a pan filled with 3 inches of simmering water. Gently stir the chocolate chips until they are fully melted then remove from heat.
- Place the pitted avocados, milk, cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a high speed food processor and pulse until smooth. Pour in melted chocolate and pulse once again until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Pour mixture into four serving dishes or glasses and refrigerate until firm, a minimum of 3 hours. Serve with whipped cream or whipped coconut cream if you wish.
Take a look at my Pinterest board for more recipe ideas!
Did anyone notice with the “Milk” ingredient. It no longer becomes vegan ?
Are you talking about the coconut milk, Mark? Coconut milk is not from an animal and is vegan. Let me know if I can answer any other questions!
This is SUCH a perfect snack for R for after I let her eat sugar and that’s all she wants to eat anymore…so when she’s 20. (HA.) Love!
This mousse looks so creamy and dreamy! It’s amazing what avocados can do in dessert recipes!
I totally agree!!
These look delicious! And I love how they are a bit healthier.
Yes!!!! I love guilt-free sweet treats :)
This sounds delicious; I just wish it were a bit less caloric. And that it was easier to find good avocados. The one thing I miss about southern California is the neighbors with avocado trees.
I always have trouble finding good avocados as well!! While it is a bit caloric it’s made with real ingredients so a little goes a long way.
I love the touch of cinnamon on top! These look great!
Thank you so much friend!!! xoxo