Classic and comforting vegetable beef soup gets a nutritional boost with chewy barley.
Fall is in the air and which means soup season is in full force in our house! Today’s soup is an iconic classic straight from my mother’s kitchen– complete with V8 and all of it’s delicious, tomato-filled goodness! (Does anyone else always order tomato juice on plane rides?)
Of course, I had to put my Lemon Bowl spin on the original recipe by swapping out white potatoes for nutty, chewy and delicious hull-less barley. If you’ve never cooked with barley before, I urge you to give this recipe a shot as it is 100% fool-proof! And, unlike noodles, you don’t need to cook them separately first as they do not expand and accidentally turn your soup into pasta. :-)
As always, the recipe is a guide and not a rulebook. Not a fan of celery? Skip it! Don’t have any frozen veggies? Leave them out. Just don’t blame me when you miss out on those cute little green lima beans. You know you love them, too.
Your fork is waiting.
Vegetable Beef & Barley Soup
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 c beef broth low sodium
- 46 oz can V8
- 1 tbs worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 c cooked barley hull-less or regular
- 2 c frozen mix vegetables
- fresh parsley and crusty bread to serve optional
- Heat a large stew pot over medium high heat and spray with non-stick spray.
- Season beef with a heavy pinch of kosher salt and black pepper then add to hot pan.
- Let meat sear on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side; remove from pan and set aside.
- Add diced onions, carrots and celery to the pot and saute for 8-10 minutes over medium heat until softened.
- Season veggies with thyme and oregano then stir in beef broth, V8 juice, barley and worcestershire sauce.
- Add beef back to the pan and bring soup to a boil.
- Stir in frozen veggies then simmer on low for 60-90 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Serve with fresh parsley and crusty, whole grain bread.