Tilapia fish is baked in a traditional veracruz-style sauce filled with capers, olives and lime juice. A fast, fresh and healthy weeknight dinner idea.
We grew up eating fish quite regularly and I’m so glad we did because it’s healthy, quick-cooking and extremely versatile. As you may have read, my dad went to college in Mexico and I was born in Tucson, close to the Mexican border, so I’ve been exposed to authentic Mexican food my entire life.
This 5-Ingredient Veracruz-Style White Fish is inspired by a dish my mom would serve for dinner on a regular basis growing up. Veracruz sauce originates from Veracruz, Mexico and is traditionally made by sautéing onions and garlic with chilis, tomatoes, capers, olives and lime juice.
What was already a fairly simple recipe gets even easier with the help of Sabra’s Homestyle Salsa made with tomatoes, onions and jalapeños.
To create the Veracruz sauce, I just tossed in the capers, olives and plenty of fresh lime juice.
We used wild caught American cod because it was on sale and fresh but use whatever white fish looks best at your seafood counter. My mom loves using snapper but tilapia or halibut would both work as well.
This protein-packed dinner is not only bursting with fresh flavors but it is naturally gluten free and ready to serve in under 30 minutes. No passports required.
Your fork is waiting.
Veracruz Style Tilapia
- 4 six-ounce white fish filets (i.e. cod, tilapia, snapper, etc.)
- 16 ounce container Sabra Homestyle Salsa mild or medium
- 1/4 cup green olives sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers drained
- 1 juice of lime
- cilantro and lime wedges optional garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with cooking spray and place fish filets in a single layer.
- In a medium bowl, mix together veracruz sauce: Sabra Homestyle Salsa, green olives, capers and lime juice.
- Pour sauce over fish filets and bake uncovered until fish is white and flakey - 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges to serve.
Disclosure: I am honored to be a Sabra Tastemaker. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. As always, all thoughts are my own.