This Wheat Berry Salad with tomato and basil is the perfect compliment for grilled chicken but works just as well with grilled pork, beef or fish.
If you follow my blog, you probably know by now that I’m a huge fan of wheat berries. How can you not be? A single serving provides 6 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein. This powerful combination of fiber and protein will promote slow digestion helping you stay fuller longer without a spike in blood sugar. Brown rice, on the other hand, only has 3 grams of fiber and 2 grams of protein per serving. Above all else, wheat berries are chewy, nutty and extremely satisfying.
Wheat berries take an hour to prepare but this hardy grain lasts well and can easily be prepare several days in advance. A great idea is to make a bit pot of wheat berries and use them throughout the week. Throw them in soup instead of noodles. Toss them in your salad for crunch. You can even eat them warmed up with milk, raisins and brown sugar in lieu of your standard morning oatmeal. Give wheat berries a try and let me know what you think.
Your fork is waiting.
Wheat Berry Salad With Tomato And Basil
- 1 c hard white wheat berries
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- ½ c red onion (diced)
- 1 tbs capers
- ½ c feta cheese (crumbled)
- ¼ c fresh basil (thinly sliced)
- ¼ c fresh parsley (thinly sliced)
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- Prepare wheat berries according to package instructions. (Bring 1 c berries and 3 1/2 c water to a boil. Simmer on low for an hour or until tender. Add salt for taste if you wish.)
- While berries are cooking, season chicken breasts oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Grill on high heat until cooked through – about 4 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of chicken breast. Set chicken beasts aside.
- Drain cooked wheat berries and transfer them warm into a large bowl.
- Add diced tomatoes, capers, cheese, basil, parsley, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper to taste. Toss well.
- Slice chicken breasts on a diagonal and serve on top of warm wheat berry salad.