This quick and easy white chicken chili recipe is made with creamy white beans, tender chicken breast and a fragrant cumin-scented broth.
Soup is one of my favorite foods to meal prep on the weekend and reheat for a busy day lunch all week long. While I’m a huge fan of traditional turkey chili in a red sauce, I also love making a fast and easy white chicken chili.
To save time, I use leftover shredded rotisserie chicken breast which I always seem to have on hand. Alternatively, you can cook raw chicken in the broth and then shred it or I also like to roast bone-in split chicken breasts in the oven then shred them for soup.
The star of this soup is the fragrant broth scented with cumin, smoked paprika, oregano and garlic. Fresh lime juice balances out the subtle heat from the cayenne and green chilis but you can keep it completely mild by omitting the cayenne and using mild green chilis.
Of course, we all know that the best part about soup is the garnish so go crazy! Creamy avocado, shredded cabbage, crunchy radishes and cilantro are a few of my favorites but if you snuck in a few crumbled tortilla chips I promise not to tell.
Your spoon is waiting.
White Bean and Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne optional
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 ounces diced green chilis drained
- 1 lime juiced
- 8 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast such as rotisserie
- 15 ounce can white beans drained and rinsed (such as navy)
- shredded cabbage, cilantro and radish slices optional garnish
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large soup pot. Sauté onion with a pinch of salt and pepper until translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne, oregano and green chilis and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in lime juice and chicken broth then bring to a boil. Add in shredded chicken and rinsed beans then bring to a boil again. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste before garnishing with cabbage, cilantro and radish slices before serving.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Want more soup recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!