These healthy scones combine the classic flavors of blueberry and lemon with a little extra spice from crystallized ginger.
My dear friend and talented baker Erin from Texanerin Baking has created these beautiful, guilt-free scones just for you while I enjoy a little downtime with my little babe. Erin’s website is full of whole grain and gluten free baked goods that you will love including Gluten Free Peanut Butter Brownies, Chocolate Avocado Smoothie and Banana Pancakes. Enjoy!
Hi, everyone! I’m Erin and blog over at Texanerin Baking, which is all about healthier baking. I do a mix of 100% whole grain and gluten-free (usually grain-free!) goodies. I don’t have any dietary restrictions – it’s kind of fun to create healthier recipes that taste just as delicious as the not-so-healthy versions!
I based these blueberry lemon ginger scones off of my chocolate orange scones. They’re one of my husband’s favorite baked goods ever, but I get tired of making the same scones time after time. So I jazzed them up with some new flavors!
I don’t know about you, but after Christmas, I turn against all things wintry. I don’t want cinnamon, cloves, or cranberries. None of that! This is going to sound ridiculous, but I’m already yearning for summer berries.
Since blueberries aren’t in season, I used the dried berries and they’re amazing in these scones! It was my first time using dried blueberries in scones and it won’t be the last. There were no squished berries and no soggy parts to be found – just chewy and sweet reminders of summer! I added the crystallized ginger just to make these slightly seasonal and lemon because, well, blueberry without lemon is just sad, right? ;)
You can’t tell that these are 100% whole wheat. There’s enough lemon flavor to cover that up! So be sure not to leave out the lemon zest, extract, or juice! I also used white whole wheat flour, which has a milder taste (and all the nutrition!) of regular whole wheat flour.
If you like, you can leave out the crystallized ginger or add powdered ginger. It’s a great touch but not necessary.
These scones have the perfect texture – not at all muffin-like and not too dry. The secret is adding just enough liquid. If you add to much liquid, the scones will be more like muffins. On the other hand, if you don’t add enough liquid, the scones will be crumbly and fall apart. You want to mix them together just until they come together. If you’ve never made scones before, yours might not come out perfectly but with a little practice, your scones are sure to turn out heavenly.
Thanks for having me today! If you’re ever in the mood for some more whole wheat or gluten-free goodies, I’d love for you to come visit me over on Texanerin Baking.
Healthy Blueberry Ginger Scones
- 1 ¾ cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons unrefined or granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons packed lemon zest from about 3 small lemons
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- ½ cup crystallized ginger diced
- ⅓ cup dried blueberries
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 – 6 tablespoons lemon juice or milk
- Unrefined or granulated sugar for sprinkling on top optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- With two knives or a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Do not over process!
- Stir in the ginger and blueberries.
- Add the lemon extract and tablespoon by tablespoon, mix in the lemon juice. Just add enough so that the dough holds together. If you add too much lemon juice, the scones will come out muffin-like. Some days I need 3 tablespoons and sometimes I need up to 6.
- On a piece of parchment paper or Silpat, form a circle of dough, about ¾″ thick.
- Cut out 8 triangular scones.
- Place the scones a few inches apart on the parchment paper or Silpat and sprinkle the sugar over the top, if using.
- Place the scones about 2″ apart.
- Bake until the scones are slightly brown, about 12 – 15 minutes.
- Remove the scones from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes on the pan.
- Serve immediately.