This hearty one-pot pasta meal is filled with whole wheat bowtie pasta, sweet Italian turkey sausage and creamy ricotta cheese.
Pasta night is a common occurrence in most homes and for good reason – it’s quick-cooking, affordable and super versatile. While my boys are pretty good eaters, they are definitely are the most picky at dinnertime than other meals of the day.
One dinner I know will always be a hit is a dish with plenty of pasta, meat and bright green veggies like peas. Throw in two types of cheese to the mix? I know it’ll be a guaranteed home run.
This comforting one-pot pasta meal is made with whole wheat bowties, sweet Italian turkey sausage, creamy part-skim ricotta and sharp parmesan cheese.
When the ricotta is tossed with the parmesan cheese and warm pasta, it turns into a rich and creamy cheese sauce that is much lighter than traditional pasta sauces. Leftovers taste even better the next day so be sure to double the batch for a quick re-heatable lunch or dinner later in the week.
What is your favorite affordable, go-to dinner recipe? I’d love to hear from you.
Your fork is waiting.
Whole Wheat Pasta with Sausage, Peas and Ricotta
- 8 ounces whole wheat bowties (or pasta of choice)
- 4 sweet Italian turkey sausage links (casings removed)
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup minced parsley or basil (optional garnish)
- chili flakes - optional garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Pre-heat a large deep skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Cook sausage until a golden brown crust forms and meat is fully cooked through, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add garlic and green peas to the pan and heat until warmed through, about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in reserved cooking liquid from pasta, parmesan cheese and olive oil. Add cooked pasta to the pot and toss well. Heat until warmed through, another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in fresh minced parsley. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Pour pasta into a large serving bowl or between four large pasta bowls. Dollop each with 1/4 cup ricotta cheese and garnish with chili flakes and extra parmesan cheese to serve.