I am mildly obsessed with flax seed. I eat it every single day – sometimes twice a day. And I happen to think that you should too and have some reasons to back that up.
1. Not a big fish fan? Flax seed is an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids, similar to those found in salmon. Omega-3’s provide a myriad of health benefits. Fighting inflammation, improving heart health, improving brain function and reducing the risks of breast, prostate and colon cancer are just a few.
2. Hate cancer? Me too. Flax seed contains lignan, a powerful antioxidant believed to prevent cancer, specifically breast cancer. Flax seed contains more lignan than other foods – 100 to 400 times the amount found in wheat bran, oats or rye.
3. Want to incorporate more fiber into your family’s diet? A single ounce of ground flax seed contains 32% of your daily fiber needs. Important to note: the fiber benefits only apply to ground flax. I keep a bag of ground flax but you can easily grind the seeds in a coffee grinder at home.
Here are some of my favorite ways to add flax seed to my diet – morning, noon and night.
-Sprinkle it on top of oatmeal or cold cereal – it tastes great and your husband won’t even notice.
-Muffins love flax – sprinkle it in to the batter before baking.
-Toss it into your salads for extra crunch.
-Add it to your bread dough to create a healthier sandwich.
-Mix it into your afternoon fruit smoothie – a perfect way to grind the flax seed for maximum health benefits.
-Create a yogurt parfait with Greek yogurt, fruit and flax seed for crunch.
-Throw it into cookie batter before baking.
-Mix a little Greek yogurt with cocoa powder and stevia. Add fresh berries and sprinkle on flax seed for a healthier alternative to ice cream.
Flax is affordable, available at any grocery store and easy to incorporate into your daily meal plan. The possibilities are endless – please post comments with the creative ways you add flax to your diet! Your heart will thank me. Now get going, your fork is waiting.
Don’t just take my word for it. See these other places that talk about ground flaxseed:
- Benefits of Flaxseed, Flaxseed Nutrition & How to Eat Flaxseeds – Dr Axe
- Flaxseed Health Benefits, Food Sources, Recipes, and Tips for Using It
- 70 Health Benefits of Flaxseed – Food Revolution Network
- 9 Benefits of Flaxseed & How to Add it To Your Diet