Quinoa Pilaf with Mirepoix
Mirepoix is French for the combination of onions, celery, and carrots and is used as a base in cooking to provide aromatic flavor.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 carrot diced small
- 1/2 small onion diced small
- 1 celery stalk diced small
- 1 3/4 cup organic or reduced sodium vegetable broth I used chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar I used lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a medium saucepan, cover quinoa in water and allow it to soak for 5 minutes. Stir quinoa and pour into a strainer, rinse with cool water.
Dry the saucepan, then heat it over medium heat and add oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add carrot, onion, and celery and cook until tender, about 4 minutes.
Add quinoa and saute until the mixture emits a nutty aroma, about 1 minute. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil on high.
Reduce heat to low, add Italian seasoning, cover, and cook for 20 minutes until quinoa is tender and liquid is completely absorbed.
Allow to sit covered for 5 minutes and then stir in the vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Calories: 133kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Fiber: 3g