Whole Wheat Pasta with Sausage, Peas and Ricotta
This hearty one-pot pasta meal is filled with whole wheat bowtie pasta, sweet Italian turkey sausage and creamy ricotta cheese.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 8 ounces whole wheat bowties or pasta of choice
- 4 sweet Italian turkey sausage links casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 cup green peas fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese plus extra for garnish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup minced parsley or basil optional garnish
- chili flakes - optional garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
Prepare pasta according to package instructions reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
Pre-heat a large deep skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Cook sausage until a golden brown crust forms and meat is fully cooked through, about 7-9 minutes.
Add garlic and green peas to the pan and heat until warmed through, about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in reserved cooking liquid from pasta, parmesan cheese and olive oil. Add cooked pasta to the pot and toss well. Heat until warmed through, another 4-5 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in fresh minced parsley. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
Pour pasta into a large serving bowl or between four large pasta bowls. Dollop each with 1/4 cup ricotta cheese and garnish with chili flakes and extra parmesan cheese to serve.
Calories: 571kcal | Carbohydrates: 45.8g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 11.6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 20.4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 1413mg | Fiber: 8.3g | Sugar: 5.9g