When it comes to a healthy and easy lunch, I am the Queen. With a busy 17 month old in charge around here, I have very little time to sit and ponder what I want to eat. In fact, it’s usually around 2PM that I realize I haven’t eaten yet.
A few secrets to creating a nutritious and tasty lunch plate:
1. Eat the Rainbow: You eat with your eyes first so fill the plate with color. When we do our weekly grocery shopping, we always start in the produce section and we don’t leave until we have every color of the rainbow. Today’s lunch features, red, green and white. (Yes – onion and garlic are white and FULL of health benefits.)
2. Cook Once, Eat Twice: On the weekends, I love making a large roast such as my Aunt Paula’s famous Garlic Studded Pork Loin Roast. It’s always too much for the three of us but the leftovers are perfect all week long for salads, tacos, sandwiches, stir-fries and more.
3. Maximize Every Ingredient: Let’s be real, I love Miracle Whip as much as the next gal. (No really, I crave it some times!) But guess what? It’s mostly corn syrup and salt. It takes just a minute to create a delicious yogurt-based horseradish sauce that adds protein and tons of flavor. Other great sandwich toppings include avocado slices, hummus, arugula, tzatziki, salsa, fresh herbs, or black bean and corn salsa.
Need a little crunch to go with your sandwich? Check out this great slideshow from Cooking Light: Top 10 Healthy Chips on the market. Pretty thrilled to see my favorite TERRA Sweet Potato Chips on the list!
No fork required this time.
- Serves: 1
- Serving size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 291
- Fat: 8.2 g
- Saturated fat: 2.8 g
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 30.6 g
- Sugar: 3.7 g
- Sodium: 567 mg
- Fiber: 6.5 g
- Protein: 27 g
- Cholesterol: 60 mg
- Split open pita and fill both halves with equal amounts of baby spinach and leftover pork roast.
- In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, lemon juice, horseradish, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle creamy horseradish sauce over the pork or serve along side the sandwich as a dipping sauce.