Perfect for warm weather sipping, these orange blossom citrus mojitos are a refreshing new twist on the classic mojito.
Spring has finally sprung here in Michigan and everyone is giddy with joy! One of the greatest gifts of enduring a brutally long and cold winter is the anticipation of warmer weather. Once the sun comes out and the temps warm up, everyone is outdoors, grills are dusted off, the parks are bursting with kids and ice cream shops have lines around the corner.
The energy is high and everyone has a smile on their face. We’ve earned this new season and we plan to take full advantage of every moment. If there is one thing we don’t do, we do not take spring for granted and that is just one of the many reasons I love living in #PureMichigan.
To celebrate the start of outdoor dining season, I’ve made you all a refreshing cocktail inspired by a few of my favorite ingredients: citrus, orange blossom water and fresh mint. Specifically, these beauties were made with a combination of Cara Caras, Gold Nuggets and Minneolas. Plus a little lime juice for good measure.
To take the cocktail to the next level, I added a splash of orange blossom water. Orange blossom water is a Middle Eastern ingredient I grew up with in my house at all times. My mom would frequently add a splash to flavor lemonade but it’s also delicious in baklava and other pastries.
Perfect for baby showers, graduation parties or Mother’s Day, this drink can easily be made non-alcoholic by swapping out rum with lemonade or sparkling water. Whatever you do, just don’t forget the bright citrus and fresh mint.
What is your favorite warm weather cocktail? Your straw is waiting.
- 1 cup simple syrup (see below)
- 6 oranges (I used a combination of Gold Nuggets, Cara Caras and Minneolas) - divided
- 20 mint sprigs
- 4 ounces rum
- 2 teaspoons orange blossom water
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 16 ounces club soda
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- To prepare simple syrup, microwave sugar and water in a microwave-safe liquid measuring cup until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes; set aside.
- Thinly slice two of the six oranges and place slices in the bottom of a large pitcher. Add mint sprigs and simple syrup.
- Use a cocktail muddler or the back of a wooden spoon to gently muddle the oranges with the mint and simple syrup help release all of the flavors.
- Slice the remaining four oranges in half and use a fork to squeeze all of the orange juice into the pitcher.
- Add rum, orange blossom water and lime juice to the pitcher then stir.
- Fill four glasses with ice then fill ¾ way with mojito mixture. Top each glass with 4 ounces club soda to serve.
Disclosure: Sunkist has compensated me for my time to develop this recipe. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.