A beautiful town on the coast in Mexico, here are 10 things to do in Puerto Vallarta to create fun, lasting memories on your next vacation.
Mexico has so many beautiful locations that I’ve had the opportunity to visit, including Cancun and Tulum, but Puerto Vallarta has so much to offer that keeps bringing me back! While I’ve focused mostly on the food in the past with my food guide, on my most recent trip I thought I’d make note of my most favorite activities so I could share the ultimate list of things to do in Puerto Vallarta!
10 Things to do in PUerto Vallarta
- Stay at the Westin and book a balcony room with pool and ocean views. Where you stay on vacation can make or break the trip, and you can’t go wrong with the Westin Resort & Spa. My room had a beautiful view of the ocean, which included wonderful sunset views at night, and cool ocean air to welcome you in the mornings. And it’s only minutes from downtown!
2. Take a Fitness Class at the Westin. If classes are your style of fitness, then I really enjoyed the yoga class! However, the fitness center has something for everyone, and complete wellness was a huge selling point for me on the Westin in the first place!
3. Get tacos at Pancho’s Takos. I personally believe that it’s hard to go wrong with tacos at all, and honestly any taco at Pancho’s will satisfy, but you have got to try their tacos al pastor! Located in zona romantica (or the romantic zone) of Puerto Vallarta, Pancho’s Takos is only a few blocks from the beach and offers some of the best authentic Mexican tacos you can find.
4. Historic Walking Tour of Downtown Puerto Vallarta. If adventure calls to you and you’re confident in wondering on your own, then explore away on a free walking tour! If you want a little more guidance, then the hotel can set up and organize a walking tour of downtown Puerto Vallarta so you don’t miss any of the historic sites and beautiful architecture of old town.
5. Get a Massage at the Westin Spa. Is there anything more relaxing than a beachside massage? Of course the Westin offers all sorts of luxurious services, including facials, manicures and pedicures, waxing, as well as a whirlpool and steam room.
6. Enjoy lunch outside at the Cebichería Arrecifes. I couldn’t help but spend as much time on the beach as possible! That included delicious lunches served right on the coast. I can’t recommend the shrimp aguachile enough! And they offer a grand array of ceviche and other snacks a plenty that kept me satisfied all day long.
7. Want to get some steps in and burn off lunch? Head to Mirador Cerro de La Cruz, a scenic lookout offering panoramic views of Puerto Vallarta and the coast. It’s only about 15 minutes from the Malecon, and it offers the best views of the area by far. There’s a cable car that will take you up the last flight of stairs, and adds a bit of excitment to the attraction!
8. Have fun in the sun by the pools at the Westin. Especially when it comes to escaping the cold in Michigan, if I’m vacationing somewhere warm and sunny, you’ll find me by the pool or ocean. The Westin has multiple pools to please anyone, families with kiddos and adults traveling alone!
9. Drink a Margarita at Margarita Grill. And while you’re there, I’d order the guacamole as it’s made fresh right at your table! It’s hard not to be in a great mood as the energy is lively and fun, and the Margaritas are big and delicious!
10. Late Night Street Food Taco Tour with Vallarta Food Tours. I know I said that food wouldn’t be the focus this time around, but I can’t help it! Food and travel are connected for me, so you can’t go to Puerto Vallarta without going on a taco tour. They offer all sorts of food tours, including a seafood tour and mixology tour, but street tacos are an all-time favorite of mine, so I would recommend that one first.
There’s plenty of things I didn’t officially list, like snorkeling and scuba diving, whale watching, or swimming with dolphins. But whatever you choose to do during your trip to Puerto Vallarta, you can’t go wrong with staying near the heart of the town and ocean at the Westin Resort & Spa. What did you do during your trip? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!
Disclosure: Westin Resort hosted my accommodations and meals during my stay, but all opinions are my own.