Hermit Bars – Chewy Molasses Cookie Bars

Hermit Bars - Ginger Molasses Cookies - The Lemon BowlAre you ready to party? Today we are hosting a Virtual Baby Shower in honor of my good friend Rachel of Rachel Cooks who is expecting her second bundle of joy (a boy!) in December.

Rachel and I finally met in person this past October when we co-hosted Taste of Michigan. A platter of Hermit Bars was my “nice to finally meet you!” gift and rumor has it, she enjoyed one or five. ;-)

Credit must be given where credit is due: Hermit Bars are my husband’s specialty.  A Boston native, they originated in New England back in the 1800’s.  Dense and moist, hermits age very well and were given to sailors in tins to last on long expeditions.

Sweet, chewy, spicy (from the ginger), buttery and perfectly balanced with the right amount of salt, a chef friend of ours describes hermits as “sweet crack.” I concur.  A fantastic edible holiday gift, these babies will stay moist and delicious for weeks – if you can avoid eating them all first!

Happy Baby Shower, Rachel!! We are so happy for you and your family. I know E is going to be a great big sister!! xoxo – Liz

Hermit Bars - Chewy Molasses Cookie Bars

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Soft and chewy cookie bars made with ginger, molasses and raisins. Perfectly balanced with a pinch of salt - these are addictive!!
Recipe type: Dessert
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 cups brown sugar - packed
  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks) - softened
  • ⅔ cup dark molasses
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups raisins
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Grease and flour one standard jelly roll pan (cookie sheet) and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, cinnamon, baking power, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg, salt and cloves.
  4. With mixer on medium, beat together brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add in molasses then egg and mix until combined.
  5. Reduce speed to low and slowly add in the dry ingredients until just combined.
  6. Use a spoon to stir in raisins.
  7. Scrape edges of bowl with a plastic spatula.
  8. Flour hands then carefully press dough into even layer on the floured cookie sheet.
  9. Bake 17-19 minutes depending on oven. Remove when toothpick comes out clean.
  10. Let cool completely before slicing into bars.
These cookies age well and can handle a little air exposure. They are very moist and last several days (if they last that long!) Slicing Tip: A pizza slicer is a great way to ensure even slicing.
Serving size: 1 cookie Calories: 105 Fat: 3 g Saturated fat: 2 g Unsaturated fat: 1 g Carbohydrates: 19 g Sodium: 80 mg Protein: 1 g Cholesterol: 15 mg

Thank you to our lovely hosts, Brandy and Brandi plus the incredibly talented Heather for creating this adorable graphic! Be sure to visit all of my fellow bloggers below who came up with the most incredible dishes for Rachel’s Shower!

For The Love of Popcorn

Sweet Potato Pie Dip with Pie Crust Dippers | The Spiffy Cookie
Turtle Pumpkin Ice Cream Cake | A Spicy Perspective
Walnut Streusel Coffee Cake | Cookistry
White Chocolate Biscoff Muddy Buddies | Miss In The Kitchen
White Chocolate ‘Quilted’ Cupcakes | Creative Culinary

Comments

Interesting tidbit about how the bars originated and love the cloves and other spices used. Perfect for my holiday cookie swap with neighbors! I brought Southern Cheese Straws to the party! :)

Love you Liz!!!! Thanks for being a part of this. You guys really pulled it off, I was completely surprised! It means the world to me. xoxo

And a big thanks to Rich for the yummy bars, too :)

These bars look amazing!!! I love hermit bars but have never made them homemade. Things are going to change around this house! Thank you so much for being a part of this event!!!

4. Skye says

If these treats could go on long voyages with sailors, I’m guessing they might survive being mailed across country and overseas? ;) They sound like just the right treat for some young relatives facing college finals and for some young folks I know who are in the military and away from home for the holidays this year.

I have never had a hermit bar. But damned if I don’t want one now. Since they last so long, you should totally whip up a batch for me? I’ll pretend I’m pregnant, counts for something, right?

OMG- I love hermits so much (grew up in New England) and I haven’t had them in so so long. I’ll have to try and covert these to gluten-free :)

7. Shelly says

I made these today, but used chocolate chips instead of raisins because I’m not a fan. They smelled amazing while baking and tasted even better!

8. Joy says

Mmmmmm, these bars sound delicious! I do have one question before trying the recipe: What size cookie sheet do you use? 15 x 10? 13 x 18? If you are willing/able to tell me, I would be very appreciative.

Hope you are having a wonderful holiday season! :)

9. Barbara says

When I make my hermit bars, I use equal amounts of raisins, dates and walnuts. I chop them in the food processor with some of the flour.

10. Jennifer says

Was just about to ask what size/type of pan, then sifted through comments and found the answer “a standard size jelly roll pan.” I think it would be really helpful if this was included in the directions of the recipe. I have the dough ready and can’t wait to try these, it’s already delicious!

I will revise the recipe shortly to include that/ so sorry for any confusion! I hope you love the hermits as much as we do!!

My mom’s favorite cookie is molasses, she hasn’t been able to make them for years because of her arthritis. I’m going to surprise her with these, but I’m trying to remember what she put in her cookies – I think dried fruit? Like cherries & such? Not sure about the raisins …. but I’m excited to try these!

12. Melissa says

I made these today and they came out wonderfully. I had to cook mine for about 25 minutes. Thanks for a great recipe, it’s nice to see something different out in the blog world.

1. [...] Jessie from Bread & Butter – Primal Pumpkin Whoopie Pies Liz from The Lemon Bowl – Chewy Molasses Cookie Bars Milisa from Miss in the Kitchen – White Chocolate Biscoff Muddy Buddies Tara from Chip Chip [...]

2. [...] Blue Layered Jello | Taste and Tell Blog Dark Chocolate Cashew Brittle Cookies | Farmgirl Gourmet Hermit Bars – Chewy Molasses Cookies | The Lemon Bowl Itty Bitty Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies | Chip Chip Hooray Mini Blackberry [...]

3. [...] Blue Layered Jello | Taste and Tell Blog Dark Chocolate Cashew Brittle Cookies | Farmgirl Gourmet Hermit Bars – Chewy Molasses Cookies | The Lemon Bowl Itty Bitty Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies | Chip Chip Hooray Mini Blackberry Pies | [...]

4. [...] Blue Layered Jello | Taste and Tell Blog Dark Chocolate Cashew Brittle Cookies | Farmgirl Gourmet Hermit Bars – Chewy Molasses Cookies | The Lemon Bowl Itty Bitty Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies | Chip Chip Hooray Mini Blackberry [...]

5. […] Hermit Bars from The Lemon Bowl Blackberry Lime Bars from Oh Sweet Basil Apple Pie A La Mode Dessert Bars from Seasonal & Savory Lemon Bars from The Lemon Bowl Funfetti Cookie Dough Truffle Bars from Beyond Frosting Meyer Lemon Cheesecake Bars from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures Raw Fig & Cherry Bars from Ricki Heller Strawberry Lemonade Bars from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts Vegan Apple Pear Streusel Bars from Because I Like Chocolate Very Vanilla Cookie Bars from Wine and Glue Peach Pie Bars from Shugary Sweets […]