Healthier Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 1 small butternut squash peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 parsnips peeled and cubed
- ¼ c plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ c fat free milk
- 1 tbs butter
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ lb ground lamb
- ½ lb ground sirloin 90% lean
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tbs flour
- ½ c chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- ½ tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 c frozen mixed vegetables
- ¼ grated Parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place cubed butternut squash and parsnips in a large pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until fork tender; drain and place back in warm pan.
- Add milk, butter, Greek yogurt, salt and pepper then mash or whip until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a deep sauce pan, brown lamb and beef over medium-high heat with salt and pepper for 7-8 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to break into small pieces.
- Add onion and garlic and saute 5 more minutes until onions are soft.
- Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes before adding chicken broth, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer, stirring frequently, until gravy forms and sauce thickens, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add in mixed vegetables and simmer 5 additional minutes.
- Pour mixture into a large lasagna sized pan. Top with whipped butternut squash and parsnips then sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until bubbles form around the edges.
- Turn oven to broil and cook additional 5-8 minutes or until squash topping becomes nicely browned.