This easy baked chicken recipe is made with sweet potatoes, garlic, onions and white wine. Simple, comforting and delicious!
Now that I’m a mom myself feeding my own family, I like to take the dishes of my childhood and put my own spin on them. This roast chicken recipe with sweet potatoes and white wine is a great example of me taking a basic cooking method and making it my own,
White wine is a great addition to roast chicken as it adds a bright acidity that balances out the fat and salt from the roast chicken and sweetness of the sweet potatoes. Prefer not to use alcohol? Swap out with chicken broth or apple cider instead. As always, be sure to liberally season your chicken and veggies with salt and pepper. (You can even add in a little cinnamon like my mom always did!)
As the red onions cook they begin to caramelize turning tender and sweet by the time they come out of the oven. If you don’t have sweet potatoes on hand feel free to swap out with butternut squash, red or Yukon gold potatoes. Truly any root vegetable will work even parsnips!
To serve, garnish with fresh parsley. Fresh herbs are a great way to brighten a dish that has been cooking for a while. This trick holds true for all dishes including stews, pastas, soups and more.
How do you know when the chicken breasts are cooked? When the juices come out clear, you know the chicken is done. You can also use a meat thermometer and when the internal cooking temperature reaches 170 degrees you know the chicken is done.
What are your favorite childhood dishes? I’d love to hear from you.
Your fork is waiting.
Baked Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
- 4 chicken breasts bone-in, split, skin-on
- 4 cups sweet potatoes peeled and cut in large cubes
- 1 red onion cut in large cubes
- 6 cloves garlic whole, peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Scatter sweet potatoes, garlic and onion in the bottom of a large baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Place chicken breasts on top and season liberally wish salt and pepper on both sides. Pour white wine in the pan and roast until chicken is cooked through and juices come out clear, about 1 hour.
Find more comforting chicken recipes on my Pinterest!