This satisfying chicken salad is made with tender breast meat marinated in a lemon, garlic vinaigrette then served over a fragrant Lebanese salad.
Chicken tawook is one of my all time favorite salad recipes of all time. In fact, I requested this very same salad after giving childbirth because I was starving and all I was craving was lemony, garlicky chicken over a crunchy, fragrant Syrian salad.
If you’ve never made Lebanese shish tawook chicken at home, you won’t believe how easy and versatile it is! Lean chicken breast cubes are marinaded in a simple lemon garlic marinate then browned in a hot pan until cooked, about 5-7 minutes.
If you prefer a more hands-off cooking method, or wish to cook a larger batch, I highly recommend my Sheet Pan Lebanese Shish Tawook Chicken recipe.
While the chicken cooks, I whip up my every day Lebanese salad recipe, better known in our house as a Syrian salad. Once again, lemon and garlic are the star ingredients but za’atar and mint (fresh or dried) are added as well.
If you plan to prep this salad ahead, keep the dressing on the side so the salad doesn’t wilt. The chicken will last 3-4 days and tastes great in pitas with cucumber laban, served over Syrian rice or with hummus and grilled veggies.
Your fork is waiting.
Chicken Tawook Salad
- 20 ounces chicken breasts (boneless, skinless – cut in large cubes)
- 1 lemon (juiced and zested)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 servings Middle Eastern Syrian Salad
- Place chicken breasts cubes in a glass bowl or large resealable plastic bag. Add lemon juice, zest, oil, grated garlic, salt and pepper to the chicken toss until chicken is evenly coated with the marinade. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or up to overnight.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken to the pan along with all of the marinade. Sauté chicken, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Alternatively, you can prepare the chicken in the oven.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare Middle Eastern Syrian Salad. Serve cooked chicken tawook on top of salad.
Want more satisfying salad recipes?? Head over to my Pinterest board!
I see oil on the ingredients but don’t see if it’s for the marinade or for cooking.
Oops sorry about that! It goes in with everything else to marinate the chicken. :)
Ah ok, I added it later but now I know. My Palestinian husband loved it and said “make this again!”
Oh good I’m so glad!
This looks like an interesting dish the Syrian Salad and Lemon must give it a tangy flower. Definitely going to cook this at home as soon as possible.
I hope you love it!