This creamy, protein-packed smoothie is made with rich dark chocolate, juicy orange, and a pinch of cinnamon.
In this Post: Everything you need for Chocolate Orange Protein Smoothie
My friends have recently started referring to me as the Smoothie Queen, and it is a crown I wear with pride. Smoothies are definitely my favorite way to start the day, and as such I am constantly experimenting and trying new recipes. This Chocolate Orange Protein Smoothie is a delicious way to start your day in a healthy way.
- Orange: Naturally sweet, juicy, and tangy as well as high in vitamin C.
- Banana: Creamy, naturally sweet, and a great source of potassium.
- Greek yogurt: Higher in protein and lower in sugar than typical yogurt, it is also a bit thicker, making it perfect for smoothies.
- Protein powder: Either chocolate or vanilla flavor works well in this smoothie, I used chocolate.
- Cocoa powder: A great source of antioxidants, and chocolate is yummy.
- Flax seed meal: Tasteless, but adds a ton of fiber, protein, and omega 3s.
- Vanilla: Balances out the flavors and adds a touch of sweetness.
- Cinnamon: Aromatic, sweet, and earthy in flavor. It adds just a little kick to the smoothie.
How to Make Chocolate Orange Protein Smoothie:
Start your Chocolate Orange Protein Smoothie by peeling your banana and orange and putting them in the bottom of your blender.
Next, add the protein powder and cocoa powder to the blender.
Add a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Then add the flaxseed meal.
Follow with the vanilla.
And finish with the Greek yogurt.
Blend until the consistency is smooth. If it’s too thin, you can add some ice to thicken. If it’s too thick, add a bit of water.
Pour evenly into two glasses.
Garnish with an orange slice, and enjoy!
- Make it dairy free. Use a plant-based protein powder and replace the yogurt with almond milk.
- Change up the fruit. If you aren’t a fan of banana, you could use apple sauce or double up on the orange.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is it okay to replace a meal with a protein shake or smoothie?
Yes, as long as you aren’t replacing all of your meals with shakes or smoothies. Starting your day with a smoothie is a great way to cut calories while still getting the energy you need.
When should I drink a protein smoothie?
It’s best to consume a protein shake or smoothie within 2 hours of a workout. It can be before or after you exercise.
Can I make this smoothie ahead of time?
You can make this smoothie in bulk and freeze it, or you can make single serve, ready-to-blend bags, as I explain here.
More Smoothies to Try:
- Chocolate Oatmeal Smoothie
- Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie
- Peach Protein Smoothie
- Green Detox Smoothie
- Blueberry Cinnamon Smoothie
Did you try this smoothie? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials. Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your drink.
Whether for breakfast or an afternoon snack, for myself or for my kids, this Chocolate Orange Protein Smoothie is sure to please.
Your straw is waiting.
Chocolate Orange Protein Smoothie
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and puree until smooth. Add some ice if too thin, add water if too thick.