This immunity-boosting green detox smoothie recipe is packed with vitamins and nutrients to give you long-lasting energy.
Want to get a jump start on those new years resolutions? If you’re trying to get more fruits and veggies into your diet, then I’ve got just the start to your day. Smoothies are my favorite go-to breakfast, and they’re a great way to meet your health and nutrition goals. My Green Detox Smoothie is a delicious way to reduce calories while still giving your body what it needs.
- Baby spinach: Baby spinach is a little bit sweeter than fully-grown spinach, and is a great source of iron, vitamin C and A, and calcium.
- Parsley: Fresh parsley has a slightly peppery, earthy flavor. It’s an herb that’s high in vitamin C.
- Orange: Naturally sweet, juicy, and citrusy, and also a great source of vitamins and nutrients.
- Lemon juice: Bright, fresh, acidic flavor that pairs with the other fruit in the smoothie.
- Ginger root: Somewhat spicy, fresh ginger is a great source of antioxidants and good for gut health.
- Apple: Adds sweetness and flavor, I like to use gala or fuji apples.
- Flax seed meal: Flavorless, but adds a slew of health benefits like omega 3s, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Turmeric: Peppery and earthy in flavor, it’s full of antioxidants and has been found to benefit digestive health.
How to Make Green Detox Smoothie
Start your Green Detox Smoothie by preparing your fresh ingredients. Cut up your ginger root and your apple, peel your orange, and wash and trim your spinach and parsley.
Then take the pitcher of your blender, and put your baby spinach in the bottom.
Next add your apple, peeled or unpeeled depending on your preference.
Then add the peeled orange.
And push in the fresh parsley and add the ginger root.
Sprinkle in the flax seed meal and turmeric.
Finish with the fresh lemon juice and some water.
Put the lid on the blender, then blend until smooth. Add ice if you want it thicker, or water if you want to make it thinner.
Pour into a glass, and enjoy your Green Detox Smoothie!
- Swap the greens. If you don’t have spinach, try using kale or another leafy green. No parsley? Try fresh mint leaves!
- Try different fruits. Use whatever fruit you have! You have bananas? Toss those in! Have some extra baby carrots? Shred those in there.
- Up the protein. Make it a protein smoothie by adding some of your favorite protein powder.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can you make smoothies ahead of time?
My favorite way to plan ahead with smoothies is my make-ahead smoothie freezer bags. You can take pre-portioned bits of the ingredients and put them in bags and freeze, then toss the bag in the blender and voila!
How often should you drink green smoothies?
You can drink one a day as a way to incorporate fruit and vegetables into your diet.
Can you lose weight drinking smoothies?
Because smoothies tend to be low in calories, they’re a great way to help you lose weight.
- Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
- Ginger Berry Fruit Smoothie
- Pineapple Mango Green Smoothie
- Apple Cinnamon Smoothie
- Orange Ginger Detox Smoothie
Drink It, Like It, Share It!
Did you try this smoothie and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your drink.
Whether you have a new years resolution or not, my Green Detox Smoothie is a delicious way to start your day.
Your straw is waiting.
Green Detox Smoothie
- 2 cups Organic Baby Spinach
- 1 cup parsley
- 1 medium orange (peeled)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 inch piece ginger root (peeled)
- ½ medium apple
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup water
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and puree until smooth. Serve as is or over ice.