A quick and easy meatless main or healthy side dish, your family will love this vegetarian Garlic Roasted Vegetable Pasta.
The most delicious meals created in my kitchen are almost always those that are created in a last-ditch attempt to clean out the fridge. Since I have very little self-control in the produce aisle (shocker!), I am always looking for new and inventive ways to avoid food waste.
There are two things my boys love more than life and that is roasted vegetables and pasta. One morning while they were eating breakfast I decided to peel and dice any and all veggies I could find in the fridge. I then created a fast and flavorful Garlic Roasted Vegetable Pasta. For a sweet, caramelized note I added whole garlic cloves in the skin to the party.
I happened to have a box of thin spaghetti on hand but feel free to use any type of pasta you wish. We are usually a whole wheat penne family but the boys were happy to slurp up these long strands of olive-oil coated spaghetti.
While the vegetables are roasting, cook the pasta and reserve a bit of the salty, starchy cooking liquid for later. Once you drain the pasta, add it right back into the warm pot then toss in the roasted vegetables, olive oil, Parmesan cheese. Add just enough of the reserved cooking liquid to create a silky, smooth sauce then sprinkle with fresh parsley to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Grilled chicken would be the perfect addition – serve on the side or mix into the pasta.
Up to three days in the fridge. Add a bit of liquid to loosen the noodles if needed.
You could, I guess, but why would you want to?? Roasting veggies brings out such incredible flavor this pasta just wouldn’t be the same.
Your fork is waiting.
Garlic Roasted Vegetable Pasta
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti cooked according to package instructions
- 8 cups cubed vegetables (i.e. eggplant,red peppers, zucchini, sweet potato, onion, etc.)
- 12 cloves garlic whole, skin-on
- ¼ cup olive oil divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- ¼ cup fresh parsley minced
- chili flakes optional
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place vegetables and garlic cloves on a baking sheet then drizzle with half the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss well then roast until tender, 18-20 minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting, prepare pasta according to package instructions reserving ½ cup starchy cooking liquid. Strain pasta then return to the warm cooking pot.
- Toss roasted vegetables into the pasta pot along with the reserved cooking liquid, remaining olive oil, parmesan, parsley, and chili flakes. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly before serving.
- While the vegetables are roasting, cook the pasta and reserve a bit of the salty, starchy cooking liquid for later. Once you drain the pasta, add it right back into the warm pot then toss in the roasted vegetables, olive oil, Parmesan cheese. Add just enough of the reserved cooking liquid to create a silky, smooth sauce then sprinkle with fresh parsley to serve.
- Can be served warm, room temperature or chilled.
Check out my Pinterest board for more healthy and easy dinner recipes!