Satisfying and comforting this Indian inspired slow cooker vegetable curry dish is packed with protein and full of flavor thanks to warm spices.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Curry with Chickpeas is the perfect hands-off recipe for a busy weeknight. Warm, comforting, and jam-packed with nutrients, it works well with just about any vegetables you have on hand. In fact, we rarely make it with the same ingredients twice for that very reason!
The reason I fell in love with this recipe is because of its versatility. Sweet potatoes can easily be swapped for butternut squash or white potatoes. Cauliflower can be substituted with green beans. Red peppers can be replaced with diced tomatoes.
Let the season and your produce drawer inspire you.
📖 What can you substitute in a vegetarian curry?
- Diced tomatoes can be subbed in lieu of tomato sauce.
- Red curry paste can be used instead of curry powder but would double the amount of red curry paste.
- Broccoli can be added instead of Brussel sprouts but should be added two hours before the end of the cooking time.
- Do not substitute almond milk instead of coconut milk. It will change up the consistency.
- Any tomatoe product should work with this recipe if you don’t have exactly what you need on hand.
- garam masala can be used in place of cumin and turmeric- it’s a perfect substitute for the dish.
Is tomatoe passata the same as tomato sauce in a tin?
Yes, it would but speaking to someone in the UK they mentioned the paste being too concentrated and that tomato passata would be more appropriate of a substitute.
Using frozen vegetables versus fresh in a vegetarian curry:
Frozen would work but you should add it just 1 hour before eating as frozen vegetables are already cooked so slow cooking them for an additional 4-8 hours would make them really mushy and you’d just end up with one big bowl of mush. Fresh would be best for a slow cook process.
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Curry with Chickpeas
- 4 cups cauliflower cut in florets
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts quartered
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 15 ounce can chickpeas drained
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce low sodium
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth low sodium or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne optional
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- plain yogurt cilantro, sriracha and scallions - optional garnishes
- Place vegetables, chickpeas, tomato sauce, coconut milk, chicken broth and spices in the slow cooker and heat on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- Before serving stir in green peas to warm.
- Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Serve over brown rice or grain of choice (or on own) with yogurt, cilantro and scallions. Sriracha doesn't hurt either.
Check out more healthy slow cooker recipes on my Pinterest board!