Indian-inspired slow cooker vegetable curry is satisfying and comforting, packed with protein, and full of flavor thanks to warm spices.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Curry with Chickpeas is the perfect hands-off recipe for a busy weeknight. Warm, comforting, and jam-packed with nutrients, it works well with just about any vegetables you have on hand. In fact, we rarely make it with the same ingredients twice for that very reason!
The reason I fell in love with this recipe is because of its versatility. You can easily swap sweet potatoes for butternut squash or white potatoes. Substitute cauliflower with green beans or replace red peppers with diced tomatoes.
Let the season and your produce drawer inspire you.
Frequently asked questions:
Diced tomatoes can be subbed in lieu of tomato sauce.
Red curry paste can be used instead of curry powder but would double the amount of red curry paste.
Broccoli can be added instead of Brussel sprouts but should be added two hours before the end of the cooking time.
Do not substitute almond milk instead of coconut milk. It will change up the consistency.
Any tomato product should work with this recipe if you don’t have exactly what you need on hand.
Garam masala can be used in place of cumin and turmeric- it’s a perfect substitute for the dish.
Yes, but after speaking to someone in the UK, they mentioned the paste being too concentrated and that tomato passata would be more appropriate of a substitute.
Using frozen vegetables versus fresh:
Fresh would be best for a slow cook process. However, you can add frozen veggies to the slow cooker just an hour before eating. Slow cooking frozen veggies (that are already precooked) would make them really mushy.
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Curry with Chickpeas
- 4 cups cauliflower cut in florets
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts quartered
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 15 ounce can chickpeas drained
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce low sodium
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth low sodium or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne optional
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- plain yogurt cilantro, sriracha and scallions – optional garnishes
- Place vegetables, chickpeas, tomato sauce, coconut milk, chicken broth and spices in the slow cooker and heat on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- Before serving stir in green peas to warm.
- Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Serve over brown rice or grain of choice (or on own) with yogurt, cilantro and scallions. Sriracha doesn’t hurt either.
Check out more healthy slow cooker recipes on my Pinterest board!