Up until I the moment I opened my refrigerator to grab the ingredients for this recipe, I had fully intended to prepare this dish with broccoli instead of Brussels. Fortunately, these vegetable cousins are very interchangeable and the Brussels were actually a nice change of pace from the traditional chicken, broccoli and pasta trio.
POP QUIZ: What vegetable fights cancer, reduces inflammation, reduces cholesterol and contains massive amounts of Folic Acid, Vitamin A, C, Potassium, Folate, Iron and Fiber? HINT: It tastes even better with bacon.
Your fork is waiting.
Chicken and Brussels Sprouts with Penne Pasta
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook whole wheat penne according to package instructions. Reserve ½ c hot pasta cooking water before draining
- Heat a large pot over medium-high and spray with non-stick spray.
- Add chicken pieces, salt and pepper and cook for 6-7 minutes until browned and set aside.
- Sautee diced onion in the same pot for 5-6 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and cook for additional 30 seconds.
- Add Brussels, chicken broth, lemon juice and zest.
- Simmer with a lid (to steam for 8-10 minutes until Brussels are cooked.
- Add penne to the pot and stir well. If the mixture needs liquid, add a little of the reserved pasta water.
- Sprinkle in cheese and fresh mint before serving.