These hearty, vegetarian burrito bowls are loaded with avocado, beans and crispy tortilla strips then drizzled with a honey chipotle vinaigrette.
Eating a salad every day can get boring but it doesn’t have to be bland! With a little inspiration from around the world, I’m never very far away from a fresh and flavorful salad.
Most recently I decided to recreate one of my favorite fast food burrito bowls bowls at home – minus the meat to make it vegetarian. While I don’t follow a strict vegetarian diet, I am always looking for more plant based meal ideas.
Filled with creamy avocado, black bean salsa and pico de gallo, this protein-packed salad is vegetarian but could easily be topped with grilled chicken, steak or shrimp.
To top, I whisk together a quick and easy vinaigrette made with fresh lime juice, honey and garlic. Drizzle in a little olive oil to thin then season with salt and pepper before serving.
For added texture and crunchy, I top each bowl with tortilla chip strips. If you don’t have any on hand, crushed tortilla chips work great as well.
Want to kick it up a notch? Serve with spicy (or mild!) pickled jalapeños. Fresh jalapeño works well too.
Your fork is waiting.
Vegetarian Burrito Bowls with Honey Lime Vinaigrette
- 8 cups romaine chopped
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1 cup Pico de Gallo
- 1/2 cup tortilla chip strips optional garnish
- pickled jalapeños optional garnish
Black Bean Corn Salsa
- 1/2 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup corn fresh or frozen and defrosted
- 1/2 cup red onion minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- salt to taste
Honey Chipotle Vinaigrette
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- To assemble your salad bowls, fill each bowl with two cups of the romaine and 1/4 of the avocado cubes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Pico de Gallo then top each salad with 1/4 dup of the mixture. In another bowl, mix together the black bean corn salsa and top each salad with 1/3 cup of the mixture.
- Lastly, whisk together the vinaigrette and drizzle over each bowl. Garnish with tortilla strips and pickled jalapeños if you wish.
Want more satisfying salad recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!