Fattoush is a Middle Eastern salad made with toasted pita bread. Mine is given a flavor boost by using za’atar to season the pita chips.
Fattoush is a Middle Eastern salad made with toasted, fried or day-old pita bread.
Similar to the Italian Panzanella salad, it is a great use for stale or leftover bread.
Lebanese restaurants typically deep fry the pita chips. Not only does that add a ton of unnecessary fat and calories but it also weighs down the bright and delicious flavors of this classic salad.
Each brand has a slightly different recipe but it is a combination of oregano, toasted sesame, sumac, and other spices.
Frequently asked questions:
Fattoush is a Lebanese salad made with toasted or fried pita chips. The dressing typically is made with lemon, mint, garlic and olive oil. This type of salad is from Lebanon but is enjoyed throughout the Middle East. A typical fattoush is made with lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, onion, and toasted pita chips but it’s great with any veggies you have on hand.
I highly recommend baking the pita chips if you don’t have a fryer at home. Za’atar is a key ingredient for a fattoush salad. This Middle Eastern spice blend is made with oregano, sesame seeds, thyme, sumac, and other spices. You can find it at national grocery stores, international markets or purchase online.
Once you’ve added the dressing it will only last a few hours. I highly recommend waiting to dress the salad until you’re ready to enjoy it.
Your fork is waiting.
Lebanese Fattoush Salad
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl or plastic bag, evenly coat pita pieces with olive oil, za’atar and salt.
- Spread pita in even layer on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until nicely browned.
- While pita bread is baking, prepare Middle Eastern Salad
- Crumble toasted pita chips over the salad and toss well before serving. (Also taste great dipped in hummus!)
Are you looking for more delicious and easy salad dishes?? Head over to my Pinterest Board for more!