Fattoush is a Middle Eastern salad made with toasted pita bread. Mine is given a flavor boost by using za’atar to season the pita chips.
Fattoush is a Middle Eastern salad made with toasted, fried or day-old pita bread.
Similar to the Italian panzanella salad, it is a great use for stale or leftover bread.
Lebanese restaurants typically deep fry the pita chips. Not only does that add a ton of unnecessary fat and calories but it also weighs down the bright and delicious flavors of this classic salad.
Each brand has a slightly different recipe but it is a combination of oregano, toasted sesame, sumac and other spices.
Your fork is waiting.
Fattoush Lebanese Salad with Za'atar Pita Chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl or plastic bag, evenly coat pita pieces with olive oil, za'atar and salt.
- Spread pita in even layer on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until nicely browned.
- While pita bread is baking, prepare Middle Eastern Salad
- Crumble toasted pita chips over the salad and toss well before serving. (Also taste great dipped in hummus!)
Recipe by The Lemon Bowl // Photography By Alejandro Photography
Are you looking for more delicious and easy salad dishes?? Head over to my Pinterest Board for more!