Think of my Lemony Chicken Soup with Greens as a warm bowl of comfort. Whether you’re coming down with a cold or looking to cheer up a friend, this soup always seems to do the trick.
Loaded with fresh veggies and plenty of lean protein, this is the perfect meal-in-a-bowl that will warm the belly and soul. Lemon juice, spinach, cinnamon and chick peas are a wink and a nudge to my Syrian heritage.
Of course, after a lengthy debate with my Aunt Paula over the weekend, I now know that this soup is not technically a Syrian dish. However, my Syrian mother raised me on this soup so for all intensive purposes, I think of it as Syrian Chicken Soup.
Feel free to make it your own. Want to add noodles or rice? No problem - just add a little more broth. Have extra veggies in the fridge? Throw in chopped red peppers, zucchini or summer squash. Not a fan of chick peas? Skip it. As with all of my recipes, think of them as a guideline more than a rule book. Just be sure to make extra…I’m sure someone you know could use a little extra comforting.
Your friends are waiting.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 308
- Fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrates: 38.6g
- Sodium: 1654mg
- Fiber: 10.1g
- Protein: 36.4g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- 1 large onion – diced
- 2 c carrot – diced
- 3 c celery – diced
- 4 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tbs cinnamon
- 6 c chicken broth – low sodium
- 10 large sprigs parsley plus extra for garnish
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 bag spinach
- 15 oz can chick peas – washed and drained
- Juice of ½ a lemon (or more to taste)
- Saute onions, carrot and celery in a latch Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat for 5-7 minutes. (I use non-stick spray to save calories but olive oil works well too.)
- Add garlic, salt, pepper and cinnamon and continue cooking for additional minute.
- Stir in chicken broth and whole parsley sprigs then bring to a boil.
- Add raw, whole chicken breasts and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes at a low boil.
- Take one chicken breast out and cut in half to check for doneness. (Will take more or less depending on the thickness of chicken.)
- When chicken is cooked through, remove and place on a cutting board to cool.
- Begin shreddiing the chicken when it is cool enough to handle.
- Add shredded chicken back into the broth and veggies.
- Stir in spinach, chick peas and lemon juice.
- Cook until spinach is tender, about 5 additional minutes.
- Remove long parsley sprigs and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.