This nourishing bowl of chicken tortilla soup with hominy is brimming with Mexican flavors and packed with vitamins and minerals.
It’s always soup season in my house but I will admit, I get especially excited about soup season when the temps dip below freezing here in Michigan.
Recently I found myself with a roaster chicken and a bunch of veggies so I decided to make homemade bone broth which I eventually turned into a smoky, slightly-spicy Mexican Tortilla Soup to enjoy with my mom and sisters.
No time to make homemade broth? No worries – canned chicken broth works just as well. Since my outdoor walk-in cooler is still up and running I decided to make homemade. (You know you’re from Michigan when….)
To give the soup a southwestern kick, I added one of my favorite secret weapons: canned chipotle peppers in adobo. These smoky peppers can pack a punch so be sure to remove the seeds to keep the soup on the mild side.
Frequently asked questions:
What garnishes go will with chicken tortilla soup?
As with most dishes, it’s all about the garnishes. Be sure to top each warm bowl of Mexican Tortilla Soup with fresh cilantro, crushed tortilla chips and a squeeze of fresh lime juice for good measure. Diced avocado, jalapeños or plain yogurt wouldn’t hurt either.
Is this soup freezer friendly?
This soup is very freezer friendly and can last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Can this be placed in a slow cooker?
Yes. You could make this in a slow cooker. 6 hours on low would work. Be sure to use uncooked chicken.
Your spoon is waiting.
Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup with Hominy
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 zucchini (diced)
- 1 red pepper (seeded and diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (minced)
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 8 cups chicken broth (low sodium or homemade)
- 15 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can hominy (drained and rinsed)
- 12 ounces cooked chicken breast (shredded)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 24 tortilla chips (lightly crushed)
- cilantro to serve
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Sauté onion, zucchini and red peppers until softened, 5-6 minutes.
- Add garlic, chipotle peppers, cumin and smoked paprika and cook another 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, hominy and cooked chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring soup to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Garnish with crushed tortilla chips and fresh cilantro to serve.
Is this soup freezer friendly?This soup is very freezer friendly and can last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Could this be made in a slow cooker?Yes. 6 hours in low would work. Be sure to use uncooked chicken.
Interested in more warm and hearty soup recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!