This easy, aromatic Ginger Chicken and Rice Soup comes together in just minutes thanks to a little help from the slow cooker.
It’s true: I am mildly obsessed with Asian soups. If you follow me on Instagram, that probably won’t come as any surprise. From Vietnamese Pho to 5 Minute Wonton, there is nothing more comforting to me this time of year than a warm, aromatic bowl of Asian soup.
Over the holidays we took a little day trip to Holland, Michigan where we stumbled upon a hole in the wall Thai restaurant that served the most flavorful ginger chicken soup. My boys slurped it up in minutes and I knew right away I would need to try and recreate it when I came home.
In continuation of my partnership with Kroger to celebrate life’s every day #LittleVictories, I decided to give the restaurant version a healthy makeover by swapping out white rice with Kroger’s 90 Second Microwavable Brown Rice. Packed with protein, fiber and minerals – it’s one of the easiest ways to boost the nutrition of any meal and couldn’t be easier.
A splash of fresh lime juice and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro is my favorite way to brighten up the flavor of this Slow Cooker Ginger Chicken and Rice Soup right before serving.
No forks required.
- 8 cups Kroger chicken broth - low sodium
- 20 ounces Kroger chicken breasts - boneless skinless
- 4 inch piece ginger root - cut in ½ inch slices
- 4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 bunch scallions - cut in ½ inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 star anise pod
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 2 cups Kroger 90 Second Rice - whole grain brown rice
- cilantro to serve
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker with the exception of the brown rice and cilantro. Cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- When you're ready to serve, use a pair of tongs to remove cooked chicken breasts from the broth mixture. Set aside in a bowl and use two forks to shred; set aside.
- Heat the Kroger 90 Second Rice in the microwave according to package instructions and divide evenly between four bowls. Next, add shredded chicken breasts to each bowl.
- Pour the remaining slow cooker broth mixture over a fine mesh strained placed over a soup pot. Discard the ginger, scallion and spices left in the strainer.
- Use a ladle to cover each bowl of chicken and rice with the ginger broth. Garnish with fresh cilantro to serve.
Disclosure: I have been compensated by Kroger for my time to develop this recipe and share my thoughts on #LittleVictories. Be sure to check out the BIG giveaway still going on! Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.