Soup is one of my favorite go-to recipes for quick, weeknight meals. Most come together in 20 minutes or less, they are perfect for using up whatever veggies I have on hand and they are perfect for feeding a crowd.
This hearty Italian sausage lentil soup is filled with tender carrots, fire roasted diced tomatoes, spinach and garlic.
Ideal for prepping ahead, it tastes even better the next day or two. I always make sure to save leftovers for lunch the next day or I’ll pop it in the freezer for another time.
Want to give it a little kick? Use spicy Italian sausage or sprinkle in red chili flakes before serving. Want Kale instead? Try my Sausage Kale and Bean Soup instead!
Your spoon is waiting.
Lentil Soup with Sausage and Spinach
- 5 Italian sausage links hot or sweet
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups lentils rinsed and sorted
- 64 ounces chicken broth low sodium
- 32 ounces spinach large, cut
- 32 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Sherry vinegar optional garnish
- Sriracha optional garnish
- parsley minced - optional garnish
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove sausage from casings and brown in pot using wooden spoon to break into small pieces.
- Brown sausage and remove from pan.
- Using sausage drippings, saute onions, carrots and celery until soft about 7 minutes.
- Season with cumin, salt and pepper to help release juices.
- Add garlic and cook additional 60 seconds.
- Stir in lentils and chicken broth; bring to a boil and simmer for 25 minutes or until lentils are done.
- Pour sausage back into the pan as well as spinach and tomatoes. Continue to simmer for about 10 minutes or longer.
- Serve with a splash of sherry vinegar and sriracha hot sauce.
Want more delicious soup recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!