Made with lean turkey, hearty beans, and smoky fire-roasted chilis, this Slow Cooker Healthy Turkey Chili recipe has great flavor, is easy to make, and is ideal for feeding a crowd!
Whether I’m hosting a large group for a game night or just want something flavorful and filling to meal prep some dinners or lunches throughout the week, I love making my Slow Cooker Healthy Turkey Chili. Ideal for prepping ahead of time, I like to throw it all in my Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker first thing in the morning so that my guests can help themselves throughout the afternoon and evening. Then I’ll have a large array of toppings to choose from. My favorite is fresh minced cilantro, but other great ones are hot sauce, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, Greek yogurt, and minced jalapeños.
- Ground turkey: Extremely lean so you still get the protein you need without a bunch of calories.
- Warm spices: This chili uses a combo of cumin, garlic powder, and smoked paprika to season the turkey to add a warm, comforting flavor.
- Onion: I use a white onion as it’s mild enough to add flavor without being overpowering.
- Bell pepper: I’ll typically use either a red or yellow bell pepper, but it adds a bit of crunch as well as a bit of sweetness to the chili.
- Black beans: Soft and creamy in texture, they’re a great source of protein and fiber.
- Kidney beans: Slightly sweet and soft, they add another bit of protein to make this chili the hearty, filling dish it is.
- Diced tomatoes: I love to use fire-roasted tomatoes as it gives an extra smoky flavor to the dish.
- Chipotle peppers: Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce is a canned pepper that is packed full of flavor. Smoky, tangy, and perfect for chili.
- BBQ sauce: Adds a bit more sweetness to balance out all of the smoky, warm flavors of the other ingredients.
- Beer: Adds a wonderful, deep flavor to the chili. However if you wanted to skip this, you could use chicken broth instead!
How to make Slow Cooker Healthy Turkey Chili
Start your slow cooker healthy turkey chili by taking your ground turkey and browning it in a pan over medium-high heat.
Season it with the cumin and garlic powder.
As well as the smoked paprika and some salt and pepper.
Once the turkey is browned, add it to the bowl of your slow cooker.
Then add in the diced onion.
Followed by your diced bell pepper.
Then add in the drained and rinsed black beans and kidney beans.
Followed by the fire-roasted diced tomatoes.
Next add the minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
And add the dollop of BBQ sauce.
Finish her off with the beer before cooking on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Serve garnished with your favorite toppings, and enjoy your slow cooker healthy turkey chili!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the healthiest meat to put in chili?
Lean proteins are the healthiest, so turkey or chicken is usually better than beef. But you could also use a lean beef cut!
Can I put raw ground turkey in the crockpot?
Browning the meat before tossing it in the slow cooker adds flavor, but isn’t necessary. You could toss the ground turkey in raw and it’ll cook with the rest of the chili.
Is chili good for weight loss?
Because its packed full of ingredients high in protein and fiber, chili is great for weight loss! It’ll keep you feeling full for longer to help you cut on total calories.
More Slow Cooker Meals
- Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- Slow Cooker Tacos Al Pastor
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
Eat It, Like It, Share It!
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
The peace of mind my Slow Cooker Healthy Turkey Chili will give you of being able to prepare it and then walk away is reason enough to give it a try.
Your spoon is waiting.
Slow Cooker Healthy Turkey Chili
- 20 ounces ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 15 ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 ounce can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (minced)
- 2 tablespoons BBQ Sauce
- 12 ounces beer (i.e. Modelo)
- cilantro (sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips, scallions – optional toppings)
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Sauté ground turkey with the next 5 ingredients (cumin through pepper) until browned and cooked through, about 8-9 minutes.
- Place cooked turkey and all remaining ingredients in your Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker and heat on low for 8 hours of high for 4 hours.
- Serve in large bowls garnished with optional chili toppings.