This is fool-proof, light brothy soup packed with classic Asian flavors and ready in as little as 5 minutes. Perfect for those cold days!
I’m not sure what it is about Asian soups and warm weather but I seem to crave them just as much when it’s hot out as I do in the winter! From pho to egg drop to sizzling rice to miso, I can’t get enough of these sweet, salty, spicy and sour soups!
Recently, I was in search of a quick and easy meal that I could throw together in minutes with items I already had on hand in my pantry. (And yes, this soup is exactly what inspired me to share my thoughts on Stocking Your Pantry for Asian Cooking!)
Although I have made homemade dumplings before, I also like to keep a store-bought bag in the freezer for last-minute Asian cravings. We love the chicken cilantro dumplings sold at Costco and Trader Joe’s but this soup will work with any type of dumpling.
Oh and in case you’re wondering, yes, this soup really is ready in under 5 minutes. In fact, when I timed myself last week I got it on the table in 4 1/2 minutes. What can I say? When a pregnant woman is hungry she doesn’t like waiting for her food. :)
Slurping is encouraged, no forks required.
Where do you buy frozen wontons?
Costco or Trader Joe’s sell them. PF Chang’s also has a line of frozen wontons in some major supermarket chains.
If you’re looking to substitute kale or spinach baby bok choy would be a nice substitute
Easy 5 Minute Wonton Soup (With Video)
- 6 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (low sodium)
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger (minced)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon chili paste (optional)
- 16 frozen dumplings (such as chicken cilantro sold at Costco and Trader Joe's)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups baby kale (or baby spinach)
- 8 ounces rice noodles (prepared according to package instructions)
- hoisin sauce (optional garnish)
- fresh cilantro (optional garnish)
- Bring chicken broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, sesame oil and sambal oelek to a boil in a large soup pot, whisking occasionally.
- Add frozen dumplings, mushrooms and baby kale to the boiling broth and simmer for 3 minutes until dumplings are warmed through and kale is wilted.
- Divide noodles between four bowls and cover with equal parts of the wonton soup.
- Garnish with a drizzle of hoisin sauce and fresh cilantro if you wish.
Where do you buy frozen wontons?Costco or Trader Joe's sell them. PF Chang's also has a line of frozen wontons in some major supermarket chains.
What can be substituted for kale or spinach?Baby bok choy would be a nice substitute
Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Want more easy Asian recipes? Head over to my Pinterest board!