This high protein powerhouse blueberry kale smoothie is full of antioxidants and plenty of protein to keep you full and satisfied until your next meal.
In this Post: Everything you need for High Protein Blueberry Kale Smoothie
I’m preparing for busy mornings with my boys as school gets back in session, and keeping us all well-fueled and full through the morning is an important task. Smoothies are one of my favorite, quick, on-the-go breakfasts for me and my kids. And to keep us all feeling full and satisfied, I love turning them into power smoothies full of protein. My High Protein Blueberry Kale Smoothie has everything you need to kickstart your day and fill you up with healthy ingredients.
- Banana: My favorite way to naturally sweeten smoothies and add a wonderful creamy texture.
- Blueberries: Packed with antioxidants, potassium, and vitamin C, you can use either frozen or fresh blueberries for your smoothie.
- Kale: An amazing superfood and nutrition powerhouse. Kale is chalk full of vitamin C along with numerous other health benefits.
- Yogurt: I use plain low-fat yogurt as a base for my smoothie, but you could use Greek yogurt to increase the protein even more.
- Protein powder: Grab your favorite whey or plant based protein powder, preferably non-flavored or vanilla, to turn this into a power smoothie.
- Flax seed meal: Tasteless, but filled with great nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids and fiber.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon tastes great with the flavor of blueberries, and it adds a slightly warm balance to the sweet flavors of the fruit.
How to Make a High Protein Blueberry Kale Smoothie
Start your high protein blueberry kale smoothie by adding your blueberries and banana to your blender. I like to use frozen blueberries so I don’t have to add as much ice.
Then add the flaxseed meal.
Followed by the cinnamon.
Next add your favorite protein powder.
And add your plain yogurt.
Finish by filling in the space with your washed, fresh kale leaves.
Blend until smooth, adding either ice or water to get to your desired consistency.
Pour into glasses, serve, and enjoy your High Protein Blueberry Kale Smoothie.
Shake It Up
- Boost the nutrition. Try adding some other mostly flavorless add-ins like chia seeds or oats.
- Swap the produce. If you don’t like bananas, apple sauce is another great natural sweetener. Try spinach instead of kale, or raspberries instead of blueberries. Use what’s in season and have fun with it!
- Make it dairy-free. Instead of yogurt, you could use almond milk or oat milk and add a bit more ice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it ok to put raw kale in a smoothie?
It’s totally fine to eat raw kale, and use it in a smoothie. What can normally be a bitter tasting leaf, the flavor gets mellowed out by the other ingredients and fruits surrounding it.
How do you blend kale smoothly?
Utilizing a high-speed blender such as a Blendtec, Ninja or Vitamix will ensure your kale is well blended into a smoothie. When blending I would not recommend kale stems in smoothies as it would make the end product taste bitter.
Are smoothies okay to drink everyday?
Drinking a well-balanced and nutritious smoothie every day is totally fine. With the yogurt, fruit and veggies, and protein powder, you have a healthy source of carbs, fats, and protein to adequately replace a meal.
More Protein Smoothies
- Blueberry Vanilla Protein Smoothie
- Chocolate Strawberry Protein Smoothie
- Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie
- Berry Spinach Protein Smoothie
- Vegan Strawberry Protein Smoothie
Did you try this smoothie and love it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your drink.
With over 17g of protein, my High Protein Blueberry Kale Smoothie is a great choice to stay full throughout your busy day.
Your straw is waiting.
High Protein Blueberry Kale Smoothie
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and puree until smooth.