Thick, creamy, and protein-packed, you are going to love this naturally sweetened Chocolate Strawberry Protein Smoothie!
Strawberry season is fleeting, lasting just several weeks, which is why we tend to go crazy buying, eating, and freezing as many as possible. I then use them year round for all sorts of delicious recipes, especially smoothies! Made with creamy yogurt, cocoa powder and a pinch of cinnamon, this Chocolate Strawberry Protein Smoothie is one of my favorite ways to start the day any time of the year. Lucky for me, my freezer is now filled with local Michigan strawberries to make sure that happens.
- Strawberries: You can use fresh or frozen strawberries, but they are naturally both sweet and tart for delicious flavor.
- Banana: An easy go-to fruit for naturally sweetening smoothies without adding sugar.
- Yogurt: Low-fat plain yogurt helps the smoothie to be nice and creamy without adding unnecessary sweetener. For added protein, use Greek yogurt.
- Protein powder: I used vanilla protein powder, but use whatever you have that is your favorite! Whey based or plant based is fine.
- Cocoa powder: Adds rich, deep chocolate flavor to the smoothie.
- Flax seed meal: While flavorless, flax seed is a great source of fiber, antioxidants, and Omega 3s.
- Vanilla: Balances out the flavors and sweeteners.
- Cinnamon: Adds just a hint of warmth and diverse flavor.
How to Make Chocolate Strawberry Protein Smoothie
Start your chocolate strawberry protein smoothie by hulling your strawberries and adding them to your blender.
Next peel your banana and add it to the blender.
Then add your yogurt and vanilla.
Followed by the cocoa powder and cinnamon.
Then add your favorite protein powder.
Finish with your flax seed meal and some ice to thicken.
Blend until smooth, adding more ice as needed to reach desired consistency.
Pour evenly into glasses, serve, and enjoy your Chocolate Strawberry Protein Smoothie!
Switch it up
- Make it vegan. Use a plant based protein powder and swap the yogurt out for almond milk or a dairy-free yogurt substitute to make this smoothie vegan.
- Swap the strawberries. This smoothie would work just as well with raspberries or blackberries.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What fruit can you add to a chocolate protein shake?
What’s wonderful about chocolate is it goes with just about anything! All sorts of berries, mango, orange, or cherry taste great in a protein shake.
Can you mix two different protein powders?
With the flavors in this smoothie, you could use vanilla, chocolare, or strawberry flavored protein powders. Or a combination of whatever you have!
How do I freeze strawberies?
If you are also wondering how to freeze your fresh produce to use all year round, follow my easy guide to freezing berries and fruit of all kind.
- Ginger Berry Fruit Smoothie
- Blueberry Cinnamon Smoothie
- Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie
- Peach Protein Smoothie
- Apple Ginger Green Smotohie
Drink It, Like It, Share it!
Did you try this smoothie recipe? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your drink.
The perfectly sweet way to start your day, give this Chocolate Strawberry Protein Smoothie a try and let me know how you like it!
Your straw is waiting.
Chocolate Strawberry Protein Smoothie
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and puree until smooth and creamy. Add more ice until you’ve reached desired level of thickness.