A protein-packed, thick and creamy pumpkin smoothie that tastes like pumpkin pie in a glass!
In this Post: Everything you need for Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie
It should come to no surprise that from my love of pumpkin and smoothies would emerge a delicious Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie. When fall comes around, I will find any excuse to put pumpkin in almost everything. I like to start my mornings with a smoothie packed full of protein, antioxidants, and flavor to get a great start to my day and to stay full through lunch. This smoothie has that and more!
- Pumpkin: Full of vitamin C and iron, pumpkin is delicious and good to boost your immune system. Make sure you get pure pumpkin, and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Oats: Extremely nutrient dense, oats are a great source in fiber, iron, and protein.
- Banana: I love to use bananas as a natural sweetener in my smoothies, and they’re also a great source of vitamins like potassium.
- Apple: I like to use gala or fuji apples, which adds natural sweetness and pairs with the pumpkin to up that fall flavor.
- Milk: I use lowfat dairy milk, but almond milk or coconut milk would also work in this smoothie.
- Vanilla protein powder: Whether whey or plant based, grab your favorite protein powder to increase the protein in this smoothie.
- Flax seed meal: While it doesn’t do anything flavor wise, flax seed meal is a great source of antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids which are really good for you!
- Vanilla: Balances out the flavor and sweetens the smoothie with the fruit.
- Warm spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and ground ginger blend together to make the delicious flavor of pumpkin pie spice.
- Salt: Just a pinch helps to enhance the flavors of the other ingredients and bring balance to the smoothie.
How to Make
Start your Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie by grabbing your blender and adding the pure pumpkin puree.
Then add either your old-fashioned or quick oats.
Followed by the flax seed meal.
Then peel and break apart a banana and add to the blender. If you use a frozen banana, you won’t need to add as much ice.
Cut up your apple and add it to the blender. I don’t peel mine, but you could if you prefer!
Then pour in your milk.
Next sprinkle in your favorite vanilla protein powder.
Then add your pumpkin spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
Finish with the vanilla and pinch of salt.
Blend your pumpkin pie smoothie, adding ice to get to your desired consistency.
Once ingredients are fully blended, pour into glasses and enjoy your Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can you freeze pumpkin puree for smoothies?
Yes you can! Pumpkin puree freezes really well, and it’s a great way to not let a can go to waste when a recipe doesn’t call for the whole thing.
Can you lose weight drinking smoothies?
Smoothies are a great low calorie breakfast, and adding protein helps keep you fuller, longer which can help you lose weight!
Can you make protein smoothies in advance?
Yes! You can make blend the smoothie in advance and keep in the fridge or freezer, or use my method for make-ahead smoothie freezer bags.
- Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
- Chocolate Strawberry Protein Smoothie
- Apple Cinnamon Smoothie
- Peach Protein Smoothie
- Apple Peanut Butter Smoothie
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your smoothie.
If all things pumpkin is your go-to flavor for fall, then you’ll love my Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie.
Your straw is waiting
Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie
- Place all ingredients except the ice in a high speed blender and puree until smooth – about 45 seconds.
- Add ice and continue pureeing until you reach desired consistency.