Packed with ginger, garlic, toasted sesame oil and roasted cashews, this bright and fresh Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry comes together in just minutes!
Stir-fries are healthy, versatile and quick-cooking which is why we eat them at least one or two nights a week. In the summer months when produce is abundant, nothing is easier or more delicious than sautéing your protein of choice with whatever vegetables are in season or on sale.
By keeping a well-stocked Asian pantry of soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and more, you are never more than 10-15 minutes from a fresh and flavorful dinner.
Finishing stir-fries with toasted nuts not only adds protein but gives the dish an addictive crunchy texture. Slivered almonds or black roasted sesame seeds work well too.
Serve over brown rice or with iceberg lettuce cups to keep it low carb. Whatever you do, don’t forget the chopsticks. Dinner is always more fun with chopsticks.
No forks required.
Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts (cubed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine – optional (Shaohsing rice wine)
- 1 ounce Diamond of California cashews
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic – minced
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic paste (optional)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 red pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 yellow pepper (seeded and diced)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup scallions (garnish)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and place cashews on a baking sheet in an even layer. Roast until golden brown and toasted, 8-10 minutes; set aside.
- Place cubed chicken in a medium bowl and toss well with corn starch, salt, pepper and Chinese cooking wine; let sit 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat large skillet or wok over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add chicken to the pan and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently, 7-9 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan over medium-high heat, add ginger, garlic and chili paste and sauté until flavors release, about 30 seconds, being not to burn the garlic.
- Add onion and peppers to the pan and sauté until tender, 6-7 minutes. Return chicken to the pan along with soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and sesame oil and stir-fry 2-3 additional minutes.
- Garnish with scallions and toasted cashews to serve.