This warm and comforting vegan soup is packed with hearty vegetables, mushrooms, and wild rice. Thai-style coconut milk is stirred in to add a creamy texture and velvety consistency that can’t be beat.
When there’s a chill in the air, there is nothing I want more than a hearty bowl of soup. And living in Michigan, there is no shortage of those chilly days! This Creamy Vegan Mushroom Wild Rice Soup is a new favorite of mine. Don’t let the fact that it’s vegan throw you off. It’s filling, flavorful, and nutritious.
- Onion: I used a white onion, as it’s mild in flavor, but still caramelizes into a deliciously, aromatic addition to the broth.
- Carrots: Chalked full of antioxidants and vitamins, they add a nice bit of color as well as a slightly sweet flavor to the soup.
- Celery: Another great source of vitamins and antioxidants, celery is almost flavorless but adds a wonderful crunch.
- Garlic: Adds aromatic, nutty, and earthy richness to the broth of the soup.
- Baby bella mushrooms: I love mushrooms. Not only are they extremely good for you, but they have a delicious earthy, almost meaty flavor that makes them a perfect addition to vegetarian cuisine.
- Dry sherry: Known commonly as the cooking wine, dry sherry adds a lovely nutty, salty flavor.
- Vegetable stock: Aromatic, flavorful, and full of vitamins and nutrients, it’s the perfect base for any veggie soup.
- Coconut milk: Adds a creamy, velvety texture and consistency to the soup while keeping it vegan.
- Wild rice: Nutrient dense and higher in protein than white rice, wild rice also has an impressive amount of antioxidants while being low in calories.
- Kale: A hearty leafy green, allowing it to stay in the soup and not fall apart or become mushy.
How to Make Creamy Vegan Mushroom Wild Rice Soup
Start by cutting your celery, carrots, and onion.
Next cut your baby bella mushrooms into quarters or slices (I prefer quartering mine).
Before you chop up your kale, make sure you destem the leaves. The stems are tough and bitter, you don’t want those in your soup.
Begin your soup by adding some olive oil to the pot and sautéing your onion. Add your carrot and celery and sauté for another couple minutes.
Then grate your garlic cloves and sauté until it’s strong and aromatic. I like to use a microplane, but you can also use a cheese grater.
Then add your mushrooms and stir, cooking for an additional few minutes and seasoning with some salt and pepper.
Before adding anything to make the broth of your soup, first deglaze the bottom of your pot with the dry sherry and a wooden spoon.
Then you can add your vegetable stock.
After the veggie stock, stir in the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, add the wild rice, and reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes, or until rice is tender.
To finish off your soup, add the kale and stir until warm and slightly wilted.
Before serving, garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
- Leave out the sherry. If you don’t have sherry in your cupboard, you can still make this soup without adding it. Either omit it entirely, or replace it with a teaspoon of white wine vinegar.
- Switch up the stock. If you aren’t worried about keeping it purely vegan or vegetarian, use chicken or beef stock instead of vegetable.
- Swap out your veggies. If you are really opposed to mushrooms, you could use zucchini or eggplant instead and still have something meaty in your soup.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I store any leftover soup?
Kept in an air-tight container, it’ll stay good for up to 5 days in the fridge, or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Can I eat this even if I’m not vegan?
Of course! Even if you love animal products, it’s a healthy choice to choose vegan meals occasionally.
What should I serve this with?
I love the classic combination of soup, salad, and bread.
More Delicious Soups
More Vegan Recipes
- Vegan Tomato Kibbeh
- Cauliflower Tacos with Chipotle Tahini Sauce
- Vegan Chickpea Jamaican Curry
- Garlic Roasted Vegetable Pasta
Did you try this creamy vegan mushroom soup? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials. Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
Even if you don’t get typical cold weather where you live, there is always a good time for soup. This Creamy Vegan Mushroom Wild Rice Soup was a hit with my family, and I hope it is with yours as well.
Your spoon is waiting.
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Wild Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and diced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms (quartered)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 cup Thai style coconut milk (low fat)
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 4 cups chopped kale
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- minced fresh parsley (optional garnish)
- Drizzle olive oil in to a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Begin sautéing until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add carrots and celery and continue sautéing until veggies are tender, an additional 5-6 minutes.
- Next, add in the garlic and mushrooms and sauté another 1-2 minutes before adding in another sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste. Add dry sherry to deglaze the pan, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon.
- Add broth and coconut milk to the pot plus another pinch salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil then stir in the rice. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Add the chopped kale and cook until slightly wilted. Check for seasoning and adjust before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.