Confession: I am not a huge fan of typical Thanksgiving and Christmas fare. I would choose a fresh Vietnamese spring roll over stuffing and mashed potatoes any day of the week. The thought of eating roast turkey followed by turkey casserole followed by turkey soup makes me fall asleep typing.
Spice up this busy time of year by throwing together fresh and healthy stir-fries in between holiday parties and gatherings. It’s a perfect way to clean out the fridge with any veggies you have on hand and you can use any protein from pork to sirloin – even use leftover turkey! By adding ginger, garlic, peppers and hoisin you are instantly transported to another part of the world.
Your fork is waiting.
Sesame Chicken and Green Beans Stir Fry
- 1 lb chicken breasts sliced thin
- 1/4 c soy sauce low sodium
- 1/4 c rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbs corn starch
- 2 tbs hoisin sauce
- 1/2 c chicken broth low sodium
- 1/2 tbs chili garlic paste
- 2 tbs ginger grated and minced
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 3 c green beans trimmed and cut in 2 in pieces
- 2 large carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Toasted sesame seeds optional garnish
- Diced scallions optional garnish
- In a medium bowl, wisk together half of the soy sauce, rice rice vinegar (2 tbs each) and corn starch (1 tbs).
- Add chicken and marinade for 30 minutes or longer.
- Meanwhile, whisk together remaining soy sauce, rice vinegar, and corn starch as well as hoisin, chicken broth chili garlic paste, ginger and garlic; set aside.
- Heat a large wok or deep pan on high heat and spray with non stick spray.
- Saute chicken (patted dry) for 5-7 minutes or until browned then remove from pan and reserve.
- Meanwhile, add green beans and carrots to hot pan and saute 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in soy/broth mixture and use wooden spoon to scrape brown bits from bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a simmer and cover with a lid to steam the beans and carrots an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken back to the pan and cook 2 minutes until warm.
- Drizzle sesame oil over the top of the stiry fry and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and scallions. Great with a side of brown rice.