These protein-packed lettuce cups are made with ground turkey simmered in a sweet and spicy sauce made with garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and YOWZERSTM red chili peppers. They’re crunchy and sweet with a kick of heat and naturally low carb.
Lettuce cups are one of my favorite meals for many reasons. They are full of flavor, high in vegetables and healthy proteins. Perfectly balanced with salty, sour, sweet, and spicy flavors, there is nothing bland about these turkey lettuce cups.
Combining different flavor profiles keeps food interesting and makes healthy eating FUN. We probably eat some version of lettuce cups at least two or three times a month. As a food blogger who rarely eats the same dinner twice, that tells you something about how tasty (and easy!) they are to make.
Lettuce wraps and cups make a great substitution for tortillas or rice. And lettuce adds that extra crunch. My kids call them tacos, I call them delicious. One of my best pro tips is to be sure to choose fresh Bibb or Green Leaf lettuce and wash and dry very well before using to avoid watering down your filling.
These bright red and delicious YOWZERS!TM red chili peppers are sweet with a kick of heat. They pack a bit of a hotter punch than your traditional jalapeno, which makes them perfect for salsa, salads, and nachos!
SUNSET® is proud to lead the greenhouse growing industry in sustainability. Greenhouse growing allows for fresh produce all year round, in addition to saving important natural resources like water, making it a super sustainable choice.
SUNSET® is also intentional about placing its greenhouses across the US to reduce food miles and ensure quality products reach the store shelves. They also use 10 times less land than traditional field farms. SUNSET® also uses bees to make sure its flavorful fruits and vegetables grow the way mother nature intended.
How to make Low Carb Ground Turkey Lettuce Cups
After dicing the YOWZERS!TM red chili peppers finely, add them to a deep skillet with oil, garlic, and ginger.
Once fragrant, add in the ground turkey and brown, sprinkling in salt and pepper as needed. This takes just under 10 minutes and is a great time to prep your sweet and spicy sauce.
Saute the onion and carrot with the turkey until soft. Add in the sweet and spicy sauce and cook until well mixed.
Scoop into lettuce cups and serve with your favorite toppings like green onions, peanuts, cilantro, or lime.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Yowzers red chili peppers spicy?
The YOWZERS!TM red chili peppers that are spicier than a traditional jalapeno, but also a little sweet. Removing the seeds helps reduce the heat a bit.
Can I use ground beef instead?
Sure. You can substitute the ground turkey for beef or chicken, just adjust the nutrition facts accordingly.
What if I don’t have carrots?
You can mix in any veggies you prefer for the lettuce cup filling. Peas, broccoli, or sweet bell peppers will also work well.
These lettuce cups work great for lunch, light dinner, or party snack. Make as little or as much as you want and store in airtight containers in the fridge to grab a serving when you need it!
No fork required.
Low Carb Ground Turkey Lettuce Cups
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 YOWZERS red chili pepper (minced)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 20 ounces ground turkey breast (or ground chicken)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Sweet and Spicy Sauce
- minced peanuts, cilantro, minced YOWZERS red chili peppers, lime wedges, etc.
- 12 lettuce cups (such as Bibb or Green Leaf)
- In a deep skillet, heat avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger and YOWZERS red chili peppers and heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the ground turkey and use a wooden spoon or potato masher to gently break into bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper and heat until turkey is cooked through, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add carrots to the pan and stir again. Let cook 2-3 additional minutes or until carrots are tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce then pour into the pan. Bring to a boil then reduce to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve in lettuce cups and garnish with optional toppings to serve.
Disclosure: This recipe was developed in partnership with SUNSET Produce. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.