As a new mom, I am often asked for tips to get dinner on the table now that I spend my days chasing around a busy, crawling 10 month old boy. In the Summer months my answer is simple: marinated, grilled meats are your friend.
- Make-Your-Own Marinades: Skip the bottled marinades which often contain fillers, too much sodium and corn syrup. Save your money and make one at home. Today’s recipe is a key example of a fast marinade using ingredients you already have on hand.
- Marinade Meat Ahead of Time: The glory of marinating meat is that you can do it whenever you have 5 free minutes. If that happens to be at 6AM, Noon or 5PM, so be it.
- Maximize Flavor: By taking the time to marinade meat in advance, you are guaranteed to have a healthy and delicious meal for your family making take out less appealing. Less take out = less calories and more money in your purse to spend on new skinny clothes.
Your fork is waiting.
- 1½ lb flank steak
- ¼ c soy sauce - low sodium
- 4 cloves garlic - grated
- ¼ c balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- Place all ingredients in a large resealable plastic bag and shake, shake, shake to coat steak evenly.
- Marinade for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Grill over high heat for 4 minutes per side (turning once) for medium-rare or longer for well done. Shown above with Mashed Cauliflower and Kohlrabi.