The ultimate fast, high protein dinner recipe, flank steak is rubbed with a coffee-infused dry spice mixture then grilled or broiled to juicy perfection.
There is no way around it: I am a meat lover. I physically crave protein, fat and salt and know that’s what my body needs to fuel my intense daily workouts and busy days as a working mom of little ones.
While some people yearn for bread, carbs and sugar, I dream of juicy steak, plump shrimp and salmon sashimi. You show me a meat and cheese platter and I’m a happy girl.
When it comes to serving high protein, low carb meals for my family, there is nothing quite like lean cuts of meat such as this Simple Truth Organic flank steak from Kroger. Lean, affordable and extremely versatile, it’s one of my go-to recipes.
In fact, whenever I make flank steak I like to make extra to use throughout the week in sandwiches, salads, tacos and more. Spoiler alert: I may have an idea for turning this beautiful steak into tacos – coming soon!
Your fork is waiting.
Coffee Crusted Flank Steak
- 24 ounce flank steak such as Simple Truth Organic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds or two teaspoons ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds or 2 teaspoons Simple Truth Organic ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee such as Simple Truth Organic
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar such as Simple Truth Organic
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked parika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Toast cumin seeds and coriander seeds in a dry pan over medium heat until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Grind a spice grinder and then place in a medium bowl.
- Add the instant coffee, brown sugar and all remaining spices (garlic powder through cayenne) to the bowl and mix well.
- Rub the flank steak evenly on both sides with dry rub; set aside and let come to room temperature.
- Heat grill over medium-high heat and grill steak for 7 minutes on each side for medium rare. Remove from heat and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Disclosure: I am honored to be an ambassador for Kroger. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
Check out more of my recipes on my Pinterest board!