When my husband and I lived in Boston, we loved getting together with friends and family for dinner at Not Your Average Joe’s, a local restaurant chain. Baked Chicken Fingers with Panko and Dijon is my healthy version of their famous Mustard Crusted Chicken.
Pan-fried, crispy, juicy perfection in all of its mustard glory- I can’t even begin to estimate the calorie count. Fortunately, we were fat, happy and in love so it didn’t matter.
Lighty, fluffy and airy – panko is my go-to ingredient whenever I need a crispy, crunchy crust without gallons of oil. Dijon mustard adds flavor, spice and tang with minimal added calories. Bake at a high temperature on an elevated cooling rack and you are well on your way to a skinny-jean friendly chicken fingers dinner.
Your family is waiting.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 4 oz
- Calories: 302
- Fat: 6.4 g
- Saturated fat: .5 g
- Unsaturated fat: 5.9 g
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 25.5 g
- Sugar: 2.2 g
- Sodium: 1087 mg
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 37.8 g
- Cholesterol: 90 mg
- Pre-heat oven to 475 and lay a metal cooling rack flat on top of a baking sheet. Spray cooling rack with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine mustard and garlic. Using a small brush, gently "paint" the chicken strips with the garlic mustard.
- In a shallow bowl, use fork to combine panko, salt, pepper, olive oil and paprika. Working in batches, add mustard coated chicken to the panko mixture and press to evenly coat all sides. Place panko covered chicken strips on metal rack lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until browned, turning once halfway through.
- Serve with BBQ or dipping sauce of choice.