Caponata is the perfect dish to take advantage nature’s late-Summer bounty available at farm stands throughout the country. A traditionally Italian dish, caponata is extremely versatile. Feel free to mix and match whatever vegetables you have on hand. Celery is a fabulous addition, for example. Red peppers can easily be substituted with yellow or orange peppers. No capers on hand? Skip them! Want to throw in extra basil from your garden? Please do.
The bottom line: if you are cooking with fresh, seasonal ingredients you will end up with a tasty and healthy dish.
Your fork is waiting.
Eggplant Caponata with Grilled Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 eggplant diced
- 1 red pepper seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- 2 tbs raisins
- 2 tbs capers drained and rinsed
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs parsley garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat grill to high heat.
- Season chicken breasts with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Grill 7-8 minutes per side or until fully cooked; set aside.
- In a large sauce pot, brown eggplant over medium-high heat (using non-stick spray) for about 5 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt or pepper to get juices released.
- Add red pepper and onion; cook for additional 8 minutes or until soft.
- Add in tomatoes, raisins, capers, vinegar and sugar. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Check for seasoning and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- Serve over grilled chicken breast slices.