Caponata is the perfect dish to take advantage nature’s late-Summer bounty available at farm stands throughout the country
Caponata is the perfect dish to take advantage nature’s late-Summer bounty available at farm stands throughout the country. A traditionally Italian dish, caponata is extremely versatile. Feel free to mix and match whatever vegetables you have on hand. Celery is a fabulous addition, for example. Red peppers can easily be substituted with yellow or orange peppers. No capers on hand? Skip them! Want to throw in extra basil from your garden? Please do.
The bottom line: if you are cooking with fresh, seasonal ingredients you will end up with a tasty and healthy dish.
Your fork is waiting.
Eggplant Caponata with Grilled Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 eggplant (diced)
- 1 red pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 medium tomatoes (diced)
- 2 tbs raisins
- 2 tbs capers (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs parsley (garnish)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat grill to high heat.
- Season chicken breasts with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Grill 7-8 minutes per side or until fully cooked; set aside.
- In a large sauce pot, brown eggplant over medium-high heat (using non-stick spray) for about 5 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt or pepper to get juices released.
- Add red pepper and onion; cook for additional 8 minutes or until soft.
- Add in tomatoes, raisins, capers, vinegar and sugar. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Check for seasoning and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- Serve over grilled chicken breast slices.
OMG this was so very delicious. I can’t digest peppers so left those out. Did not have red wine vinegar so substituted some inexpensive but good balsamic vinegar. Such wonderful tastes.
I’m so glad you enjoyed it!!!!
This really hit the spot for me.
So happy to hear that Sharon! Let me know if you t
This was fantastic. Cut the chicken into chunks, seasoned with salt and pepper and browned in skillet. Then cooked the veggies and sauce with the chicken in it. Also used canned, crushed tomatoes in puree, about 2 cups. Simmered till veggies were tender. Yummmmm!
So happy you enjoyed it!!
This is so very delicious!
I served it over pasta for my kids and they couldn’t get enough!!
I had mine over grilled chicken.
Best way to sneak eggplant in a child’s diet!!
Oh I’m so glad you enjoyed it!! I totally agree- such a great way to get eggplant into kids diets!