This Asian-inspired slow cooker shredded chicken recipe is sweet, tangy and super versatile.
We are kicking off our citrus-inspired weekly meal plan with a work horse of a recipe: Asian Citrus Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken. As you’ll see in this free downloadable meal plan and grocery list, this large batch of shredded chicken is going to make healthy eating a breeze all week long.
Sweet, tangy, and full of flavor, this slow cooker chicken recipe is made with fresh orange juice, soy sauce and toasted sesame oil. On the evening you prepare the chicken, I suggest serving it over brown rice with a green salad on the side.
It would also be delicious stuffed into sweet potatoes, tossed with pasta, served over roasted veggies or over jasmine rice with my Japanese Quick Pickled Cucumbers.
We also love tossing it into chicken broth for a quick soup or using it in enchilada bakes. The options are truly endless.
Asian Citrus Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 juice of Sunkist navel orange (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (low sodium)
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- Sprinkle chicken breasts evenly with salt and pepper and place in the bottom of the slow cooker insert.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients (chicken broth through five spice powder) and pour over the chicken breasts.
- Cook chicken on Low for 6-8 hours or High for 3-4 hours. Chicken is done when it shreds easily with a fork.
- When chicken is done cooking, shred with two forks to serve.
For even more Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes, head over to Pinterest!