This easy step-by-step tutorial will show you how to shred chicken using a stand mixer, ready to use for any recipe.
I have, and use, so many recipes that call for shredded chicken. Honestly, I think it’s one of the most commonly called for proteins. And sometimes you have the time to slowly pull apart the chicken breasts with two forks. But other times, for instance when making a lot of food for a large gathering, it’s nice to have one less thing to worry about. That’s why I love this hack of using my Kitchen Aid, and figured I would share and tell you all How To Shred Chicken with a Stand Mixer.
Why Use Smart Chicken®?
Smart Chicken® boasts the only USDA Process Verified “Pure Air Chilled” facility in the USA, and contains no added water. If you aren’t familiar with this process, it maintains the natural flavor of the meat. Their free-roaming chickens are raised and handled on family farms. Their commitment to quality and care exceeds the industry’s highest standards, which makes them an easy choice for me and my family.
Here are just a few of the reasons why I love Smart Chicken®:
- Pure Air-Chilled for ultimate tenderness
- Easy to use, and saves time
- Super High Quality
- Certified Organic
- No Antibiotics
- Certified Humane
- No Growth Stimulants
- No Animal By-Products
- Hatched, Raised, and Harvested in the USA
- Tender, Delicious, and Flavorful
How To Shred Chicken with a Stand Mixer
Start by cooking your Smart Chicken® breasts. You can adjust the aromatics according to the recipe you plan on using the chicken for, but I like to use some staples that work with anything.
After your chicken is in the pot, add the onion, garlic, and rosemary sprigs. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper, and cover with cold water. Then move your pot to the stove and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for around 25 minutes.
Once your chicken is fully cooked, use tongs to take the chicken from your pot and put it in the bowl of your stand mixer. Yours doesn’t have to be this gorgeous green, but having a fun colored mixer sure adds to my joy of cooking and baking.
With the paddle attachment, turn your stand mixer onto a low speed, and then let it shred!
Once chicken is shredded to your liking, turn the stand mixer off and remove the paddle attachment and bowl.
And voila! You can immediately use the shredded chicken for a recipe, or store it in the fridge or freezer to use later.
- Mexican inspired: Add onion, garlic, jalapeño peppers, cumin, and green chilis.
- Asian inspired: Add garlic, ginger, chili paste, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- Italian inspired: Add onion, garlic, oregano, basil, and rosemary.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make chicken in the instant pot?
Yes, just add the chicken breasts and aromatics into your instant pot, add a cup of water, seal, and set for 15 minutes on high pressure.
How do I store shredded chicken?
In an airtight container, it’ll keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. Or in freezer safe bags, you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
What if I don’t have a stand mixer?
You can also use a hand-mixer for easy shredding, although it’s not a hands-off approach, it’ll still save you time.
Recipes to Try With This Method
- Chicken Tacos with Avocado Citrus Salsa
- Lebanese Hushwee Rice with Chicken
- Grain Bowls with Chicken and Vegetables
- Baked Chicken Taquitos
Cooking should be fun and easy, so combining the ease of Smart Chicken’s ready to use chicken breasts with the hands-off method of shredding is just one of the ways I make my life easier. Give it a try! Shred your chicken with a stand mixer, and let me know how it goes!
Your fork is waiting.
How To Shred Chicken with a Stand Mixer
- 2 pounds Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion (peeled and quartered)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled, whole)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Place the chicken In a soup pot along with the onion, garlic, salt and pepper and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to low. Simmer chicken breasts until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Once the chicken breasts are cooked through, use tongs to carefully transfer them to a bowl. Let chicken breasts cool slightly, about 10 minutes, so that they're easier to handle.
- Place the cooked chicken breasts In the bowl of your stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, turn the mixer on low speed and mix until chicken is nicely shredded. Use chicken right away or store for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Disclosure: This recipe was developed in partnership with Smart Chicken®. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.