The perfect lunch box treat or after school snack, these fruit and cheese kabobs are kid-friendly and adult approved.
Fellow moms often ask for tips on feeding picky eaters and I frequently respond with “Get them in the kitchen!” It’s true – the more involved your kids are in the process of preparing the food, the more involved they will be during the consumption of food. Hands down.
Want to know another secret weapon for getting little ones to eat the rainbow? SAY CHEESE! Studies show that produce intake is often boosted when foods are paired with irresistible cheesy goodness. So get the kids involved starting at the grocery store by letting them pick out their favorite fruits and cheeses then bring them in the kitchen and let them get to work!
These fun fruit and cheese skewers are not only easy to make but great for using up whatever you have on hand to help avoid food waste. We happened to have green apples and my boys love grapes and pineapple but the possible fruit and cheese combinations are endless.
Prep your fruit skewers ahead of time then grab from the refrigerator throughout the week while packing lunches or for after school snacking. The balanced combination of protein, healthy carbs, calcium and other nutrients is ideal for giving little ones long lasting energy to get them through their day.
What are your best tips for feeding picking eaters? I’m all ears!
No forks required.
Fruit and Cheese Kabobs
- 1/2 green apple (cut in bite-sized pieces)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 ounces mild cheddar cheese (cubed then quartered)
- 8 blackberries
- 8 red grapes
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple
- 8 four inch - wooden skewers
- Toss apple chunks with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Working one skewer at a time, carefully thread one piece of each fruit and two pieces of cheese on each skewer.
- Repeat until all 8 skewers are done.
- Serve immediately or store in a refrigerated air-tight container for up to 5 days.