Farmer’s cheese is rich and creamy when melted and pairs perfectly with tart, crisp apple slices.
A chill is in the air and when I need a dose of comfort, nothing makes me feel more cozy than a warm grilled cheese sandwich. My Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Apples and Farmer’s Cheese was inspired by my recent visit with Ohio Dairy Farmers.
During our tour of the countryside, we stopped by Pearl Valley Cheese where I first sampled their delicious farmer’s cheese. Mellow, creamy and slightly pungent, I couldn’t wait to get home and create this sandwich.
Can you tell someone liked this sandwich??
If you’ve never tried apples in a grilled cheese, I urge you to give it a try. The tart sweetness of a crisp apple is the perfect balance to salty, tangy cheese.
Your family is waiting.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Apples
- 2 slices bread such as Ezekiel Sesame
- 1 oz farmer's cheese thinly sliced - mozzarella works too
- 3 slices apple
- 1 tablespoon butter spread
- Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium-high.
- If using frozen bread, toast for 30 seconds to defrost and spread each slice with butter spread.
- Top one piece of bread with half of the cheese then add apple slices before topping with remaining cheese and second piece of bread.
- With the butter side facing out, cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown.