This lightened chicken Parmesan recipe is made with two types of cheese and is naturally gluten-free.
With a last name like Della Croce, it probably doesn’t surprise you that Italian food is very close to my heart. In fact, food has always been my favorite way to stay connected to our ancestors which is why I’ve dedicated much of the last 12 months to a self-funded passion project: the Food From Our Ancestors eCookbook series.
The first edition, The Ultimate Italian Sunday Dinner, is full of my husband’s family recipes passed down over the generations. Originally from Mirabella Eclano in the Province of Avellino in the Campania region of Italy, these traditional recipes continue to pass the test of time. From Pasta Fagiole to Shrimp Scampi to Sunday Gravy, each recipe in this book is time-honored and trusted from our family yours.
While I certainly love making tomato sauce from scratch and spending two or three hours in the kitchen on a lazy Sunday to prepare a meal for my family, I always keep a couple shortcuts in my pantry for busy weeknight dinners.
Classico® Tomato Basil sauce is made with high quality, fresh ingredients and helps me save hours at the stove which I especially appreciate as the temps start to rise. With the grilling season officially underway, I decided to create a lighter version of the Italian comfort food classic: chicken parmesan.
Naturally gluten free, my grilled chicken parmesan recipe doesn’t require any eggs, breadcrumbs or oil for deep frying. As an added bonus, much of the mess is kept outdoors and then you simply assemble the ingredients before placing the one-pan dinner in the oven.
Cheesy, satisfying and full of classic Italian flavors, we love serving this grilled chicken parmesan with a bright arugula salad or over zucchini noodles. Of course, good old fashioned pasta works well too.
Your fork is waiting.
Grilled Chicken Parmesan
- 16 ounces chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 24 ounces Classico® Tomato Basil sauce or equivalent
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- ½ pound fresh mozzarella sliced
- fresh basil optional garnish
- Pre-heat grill over high heat and pound chicken breasts until thin (about ½ inch thickness.)
- Brush chicken breasts with olive oil using a pastry brush then sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Grill chicken for 5-6 minutes per side, rotating once, or until cooked through; set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Pour 1 cup of the Classico® Tomato Basil sauce into the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish. Top with half of the reserved grilled chicken breasts (you may need to cut them into halves or thirds to fit in the pan.) Top the chicken with half of the shredded mozzarella and another cup of the sauce. Repeat with the remaining chicken, remaining shredded cheese and last cup of the sauce.
- Top the entire pan with the sliced fresh mozzarella before placing into the oven. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh basil to serve.
Check out more healthy and easy dinner recipes on my Pinterest board!