Table of Contents
Tender chicken breasts are grilled until juicy then topped with a bright and flavorful fresh tomato basil salsa. This easy grilled dinner recipe is low carb, high protein and naturally gluten free!
Whenever I don’t have a plan for dinner, I head to the grill. Not only is grilling easy and practically mess-free, it’s one of the best cooking methods for maximizing flavor and cooking nutritiously.
We always have a pack or two of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the fridge so I love coming up with new ways to add flavor to the lean source of protein. With a last name like Della Croce, it probably doesn’t surprise you that Italian food is always a hit in our house. That’s why I decided to create this Grilled Chicken with Fresh Tomato Basil Salsa recipe – I knew it would be a family favorite. (Spoiler Alert: I was right.)
The star of this dish is SUNSET’s Premium XL Beefsteak Tomatoes. These big tomatoes are bursting with fresh flavor. The natural acidity and subtle sweetness of beefsteak tomatoes is the perfect balance to the smoky, charred flavor of grilled chicken breasts.
How To Prepare Grilled Chicken
To grill the chicken breasts, start by coating each side evenly with a little olive oil.
Next, season to taste with Kosher salt and black pepper. Want to dial up the flavor? Feel free to add dried oregano, chili flakes or crushed rosemary.
Grill the chicken for 9-10 minutes per side, flipping once. The chicken is done cooking when it reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees.
How to Prepare Fresh Tomato Basil Salsa
While the chicken is cooking, prepare your fresh tomato basil salsa. Start by dicing two Premium XL Beefsteak Tomatoes and placing them in a medium bowl.
Next, add in fresh basil that you’ve thinly sliced into ribbons. Toss with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
Pro Tip: Make a double batch of this fresh tomato basil salsa. It’s a great bruschetta topping served over crusty baguette slices!
To serve, slice the chicken then place on a platter topped with the fresh tomato basil salsa.
Frequently Asked Questions
Would this recipe work with other types of tomatoes?
Yes absolutely! Any variety of SUNSET tomatoes would work great in this fresh tomato basil salsa including Wild Wonders or Angel Sweet.
What other seasonings could I add to the chicken breasts?
This recipe would be great with any other dried herbs such as crushed rosemary, dried basil, dried oregano, red chili flakes, thyme etc.
If I don’t have fresh basil could I use dried?
I don’t suggest swapping out the fresh basil in the tomato salsa with dried basil. Instead you could use scallions, parsley or cilantro.
Could I swap out chicken for another type of protein?
Yes this would be great with grilled salmon, shrimp, pork chops or flank steak.
What’s the best way to grill boneless, skinless chicken breasts?
Grill the chicken breasts 9-10 minutes per side, flipping once. Remove the chicken from the grill once it has reached an internal cooking temperature of 165 degrees. I recommend this meat thermometer for the grill.
Want more delicious grilled chicken recipes for summer? Here are a few of our favorites!
- Honey Chipotle Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Ginger Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Tandoori Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Rosemary Chicken Breasts
- Lebanese Grilled Chicken Tawook
Your fork is waiting.
Grilled Chicken with Fresh Tomato Basil Salsa
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper ( to taste)
Fresh Tomato Basil Salsa
- 2 XL SUNSET Beefsteak Tomatoes (diced)
- ¼ cup fresh basil (thinly sliced into ribbons )
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (grated)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Pre-heat a grill over high heat. Pat chicken breasts dry with paper towel then drizzle with olive oil. Use brush or fingers to ensure olive oil is evenly rubbed on both sides of chicken. Sprinkle to taste with salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken breasts for 9-10 minutes, flipping once. Remove from grill once the internal temp is 165°F.
- While chicken is cooking, mix together your fresh tomato basil salsa in a medium bowl. Combine all ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve grilled chicken breasts topped with the fresh tomato basil salsa.
Disclosure: This recipe is written in partnership with SUNSET. All thoughts are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible.