The ultimate mess-free dinner recipe, these delicious sausage, pepper and potato grilling packets are easy to make and fun to eat!
We have been eating dinner outdoors almost every night this summer and for good reason: toddlers are messy eaters!! Meal time can be hectic when you’re racing the clock before the bed time hours and trying to make the most of the ingredients you happen to have on hand. By moving mealtime outdoors, everyone is happier.
My boys can play basketball or ride their tricycles while I prep dinner and my husband enjoys a cold beer. The fact is, when you live in Michigan, you don’t take the warm, fresh air for granted and that has been the theme of our summer.
Grilled sausage, peppers and potatoes is a tribute to my husband’s home town of Boston and the famous Fenway grilled Italian sausage carts. To turn it into a healthy mess-free entree, I created these simple grilling packets and added The Little Potato Company creamer potatoes.
Red pepper slices and whole garlic cloves are tossed in olive oil and oregano then caramelized until sweet and tender. The end result? A family-friendly dinner that takes just minutes to prepare and requires minimal dishes and clean-up. Summertime dinner perfection.
Your fork is waiting.
Grilled Sausage, Peppers and Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pound Dynamic Duo or other Little Potato Company creamers variety
- 2 red peppers seeded and sliced
- 12 cloves whole garlic you can peel but there's no need
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 4 pre-cooked chicken sausages
- fresh basil optional garnish
- Pre-heat grill to high heat.
- Tear out 8 pieces of tin foil (about 12 inches each) and lay two pieces on top of one another so that you have four packets ready to be filled.
- Place the potatoes, peppers and garlic in a large bowl and toss well with olive oil, oregano, salt and chili flakes. Divide mixture evenly and place in the center of each packet.
- Top potatoes and peppers with one sausage each then begin creating grill packets.
- Bring the two wide ends of the foil together and fold to seal. Gently fold in the smaller ends of the packet and continue to fold until tightly secured. Leave a bit of room in the packet for steam to form.
- Grill for 9-11 minutes, turning once. The goal is caramelization as the sausage is already fully cooked.
- Garnish with fresh basil to serve.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Disclosure: I am honored to be a Brand Ambassador for The Little Potato Company. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
For more great grilling recipes, check out my Pinterest board!