As you probably know by now, oatmeal with fresh fruit is my favorite breakfast. In the winter months, I often rely on frozen berries but in the Summer I love to let my local farmer’s market guide my morning bowl of oats.
Here in Michigan we are in the heat of blueberry and raspberry season. To add healthy fats and omega-3’s, I’ve thrown in a few chopped walnuts. Toasted wheat germ adds a delicious, nutty flavor and added texture. If you don’t normally use wheat germ, here are a few great reasons to start sprinkling it over cereal, smoothies and oatmeal:
- Boost Metabolism: Wheat germ is a great source of Vitamin B which has been proven to boost metabolism and promote a better mood.
- High in Fiber: The natural fiber in wheat germ helps keep you full and also lowers sugar cravings.
- Skin Health: Vitamin E found in wheat germ is a very powerful antioxidant that has anti-aging properties.
- Superfood: Wheat germ is considered a superfood and contains a wide range of nutrients from folate to zinc to omega-3 fatty acids.
- Antioxidants: The antioxidants in wheat germ can help prevent heart disease and cancer.
Your fork is waiting.
Oatmeal with Berries and Toasted Wheat Germ
Toasted wheat germ adds a delicious, nutty flavor and added texture to this oatmeal.Pin
- 1 tbs toasted wheat germ
- ½ c skim milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ c oats
- ¼ c blueberries
- ¼ c raspberries
- 1 tbs walnuts (chopped)
- Toast wheat germ in a small, dry pan for 2-3 minutes. When you smell the toasted wheat germ, it’s done.
- Remove from heat and add set aside. (Feel free to toast extra wheat germ and save for future use!)
- In a small sauce pot, whisk together milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add oats and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Just before all of the liquid is absorbed, add berries, walnuts and toasted wheat germ.
- Cook for additional minute to heat before serving.
Calories: 307kcalProtein: 12.9gFat: 8.5gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 336mgFiber: 10g
SHOW AND TELL ON INSTAGRAM!Show me your creation and rate it below! Mention @thelemonbowl or tag #thelemonbowl! I would LOVE to see!