This fast and easy soup recipe is made with sweet Italian sausage, hearty kale, and creamy white beans.
We make soup at least once a week, all year round. One soup, in particular, that is on constant rotation is this hearty Italian sausage, kale, and white bean soup.
My kids love Italian sausage and white beans so I almost always have them on hand. We buy bags of kale each week for smoothies so this is a great dish to have on hand when the greens start to get a bit wilted. Spinach would work well too.
In fact, if I’m not making this soup I’m making this sausage, bean and kale pasta. What can I say? I love a one-pot dish.
Kale is one of my favorite greens to cook with because it doesn’t simply melt into your dish. It has a unique, earthy flavor and is sturdy enough to handle high temperatures.
The nutritional benefits of kale are countless. There are almost too many to list….but we all know I can’t resist naming a few. Kale is high in vitamin C, beta carotene and lutein. It is considered a powerful anti-oxidant and is widely believed to have cancer-fighting agents. Regardless, it tastes delicious and I’m confident your family will gobble up this hardy and satisfying soup.
If you want to give this soup a bit of a kick, use hot Italian sausage or sprinkle in a little chili flakes. Freshly grated parmesan is always delicious sprinkled on top before serving as well.
Your spoon is waiting.
Sausage, Kale and Bean Soup
- 4 links Italian turkey sausage or pork
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 8 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 15 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 4 cups kale torn
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat and spark with cooking spray. Add diced onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove sausage from casings and brown in pan along with the onions, breaking up with wooden spoon or potato masher into bite-sized pieces. Cook until sausage is golden brown, about 8-9 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth using a wooden spoon to scrape up browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add tomatoes and beans then bring pot to a boil. Stir in kale then reduce to low. Simmer for 20 minutes. Check for seasoning before serving,
Check out my Pinterest board to view my other soup recipes!